The University of Western Australia

Guide for approval of new courses which are to be offered to International Students

Ipsum Lorem


  1. Completing the New Postgraduate Course Proposal Form– Proposals for New Courses or Programmes 
  2. CRICOS Registration Process and Timeframe
  3. Definitions: Overseas Student/Student Visa Holder and International Student

Completing the New Postgraduate Course Proposal Form

(Relevant Question numbers on the form are indicated in brackets)

Delivery mode

Student Visa holders may not study more than 25% of their course by distance/online learning. New courses which allow the possibility of more than 25% distance learning will not be registered on CRICOS  and will only be available for International Students who are not Student Visa holders. For an explanation of the difference between an “International Student” and a “Student Visa holder”, see Section 3 below.

Off-campus study

There are particular monitoring requirements for off-campus study, both study at a regional campus and work-based training.

There are strict requirements for approval of a course that includes a Work Based Training component.  In such cases the form "UWA Notification of Workbased Training" must be completed and provided with the New Postgraduate Course Proposal Form to the International Centre.

Download UWA Notification of Workbased Training:  PDF format; RTF format

Jointly badged/collaborative courses 

There are complex requirements for the registration of collaborative courses, whether delivered with another university or with any other body. The form “Arrangements with Other Providers” must be completed and provided with the New Postgraduate Course Proposal Form to the International Centre.   Further information can be provided by the Manager, International Quality Assurance in the International Centre.

Download Arrangements with Other Providers Form:  PDF format; RTF format

Demand for the course 

Discussions with International Centre marketing staff can help determine the potential demand for the course.  The regulatory authority requires an estimate of both domestic and internatinal enrolments.

Availability of the course to international students who are not student visa holders 

Even if a course cannot be registered on CRICOS for Student Visa holders, it can still be offered to other International Students. See definition of International Student below.

International Course Fees 

The International Centre bases fee recommendations on factors such as: fees for similar courses, fee bands for courses within the Faculty concerned, fees at other universities and other relevant information presented with the application.

Back to top

CRICOS Registration Process and Timeframe

The International Centre can apply for CRICOS registration of new courses only when the courses have been approved (by Senate if the new course results in a new award, or by Academic Council if no new award is involved).

The international tuition fees for the course require approval by the Planning and Budget Committee.  (This is normally done on behalf of the Committee by the Vice-Chancellor and delegated to the Director, International Centre.)  International tuition fees are set consistent with existing fees for similar courses in Faculty.

When the course and the fees have been approved, the Manager, International Quality Assurance, applies to TEQSA for CRICOS registration.  TEQSA approval generally takes six weeks from the date they receive the application.  Until August 2012, the cost for CRICOS Registration was $1,000 per course.  However, this charge has been suspended for the remainder of 2012 and will be reviewed by TEQSA in the first quarter 2013 where it is expected a lodgment fee will be reintroduced.

The Manager, International Quality Assurance, informs the appropriate Dean(s), Faculty Administrative Officer(s) and other stakeholders when the CRICOS codes are issued by TEQSA.

No advertising or promotion to (prospective) Student Visa holders can legally take place before the CRICOS codes have been issued.

Back to top


Definitions: Overseas Student/Student Visa Holder and International Student

The ESOS Act and National Code regulations apply to overseas students, defined by the Act as holders or prospective holders of a Student Visa. Student Visa holders may only study CRICOS registered courses, which must be full-time and at least 75% face-to-face. It is an offence under the Act, punishable by up to two years imprisonment, to promote a course to (prospective) Student Visa holders until the course is registered on CRICOS.

The University of Western Australia defines an International Student as someone who is not an Australian citizen or permanent resident, or a New Zealand citizen.

This is a broader definition than the ESOS Act definition of an overseas student, and can include students on a range of temporary work, business, spouse or other visas, as well as offshore students. International Students who have visas other than a Student Visa can study courses which are not registered on CRICOS, including part-time and distance/online courses. While their visas may impose some restrictions on them, the provisions of the ESOS Act and National Code do not apply.

Back to top


The University of Western Australia

This Page

Last updated:
Tuesday, 3 June, 2014 11:20 AM