Dr Pejman Rowshan Farzad
Academic Staff (Physics and Astrophysics)
- Contact details
- Academic Staff (Physics and Astrophysics)
The University of Western Australia (M013)
35 Stirling Highway
CRAWLEY WA 6009
- +61 8 6488 1138 (Mon and Thurs)
- PhD W.Aust.
- • PhD in Medical Physics, University of Newcastle, Australia, 2012.
Project title: Improvement of EPID-based techniques for dosimetry and investigation of linac mechanical performance in advanced radiotherapy.
• MSc in Medical Physics, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences,Iran, 2001.
Project title: Production of Se-75 from As-75 for medical purposes especially brachytherapy.
• BSc in Applied Physics, Bu-Ali Sina University, Iran, 1997.
- Key research
- Radiotherapy Physics
- Linac QA methods for advanced radiotherapy techniques (IMRT/VMAT)
- Electronic Portal Imaging Devices
- Cyclotrons & Nuclear Medicine
- Peer Reviewed Journal Publications:
• Riis HL, Moltke LN, Zimmermann SJ, Ebert MA, Rowshanfarzad P. Investigation of the accuracy of MV radiation isocentre calculations in the Elekta cone-beam CT software XVI. Phys. Med. Biol. 2016; 61: N249–N256
• Barnes MP, Rowshanfarzad P, Greer PB. VMAT linear accelerator commissioning and quality assurance: dose control and gantry speed tests, Journal of Applied Clinical Medical Physics, 2016; 17(3): 246-261.
• Rowshanfarzad P, Häring P, Riis HL, Zimmermann SJ, Ebert MA. Investigation of the mechanical performance of Siemens linacs components during arc: gantry, MLC, and electronic portal imaging device, Medical Devices: Evidence and Research, 2015; 8: 457-466.
• Rowshanfarzad P, Riis HL, Zimmermann SJ, Ebert MA. A comprehensive study of the mechanical performance of gantry, EPID and the MLC assembly in Elekta linacs during gantry rotation, The British Journal of Radiology, 2015; 88: 20140581.
• Fuangrod T, Rowshanfarzad P, Greer PB, Middleton RH. A cine-EPID Based Method for Jaw Detection and Quality Assurance for Tracking Jaw in IMRT/VMAT Treatments, Physica Medica, 2015; 31(1): 16-24.
• Rowshanfarzad P, McGarry CK, Barnes MP, Sabet M, and Ebert M. An EPID-based method for comprehensive verification of gantry, EPID and the MLC carriage positional accuracy in Varian linacs during arc treatments, Radiation Oncology, 2014; 9: 249.
• Sabet M, Rowshanfarzad P, Menk F, Greer P. Transit dosimetry in dynamic IMRT with an a-Si EPID, Medical & Biological Engineering & Computing, 2014; 52(7): 579-588.
• McCowan PM, Rickey DW, Rowshanfarzad P, Greer PB, Ansbacher W, McCurdy BM. An investigation of gantry angle data accuracy for cine-mode EPID images acquired during arc IMRT, Journal of Applied Clinical Medical Physics, 2014; 15(1): 187-201.
• Fuangrod T, Woodruff HC, Rowshanfarzad P, O’Connor DJ, Middleton RH, Greer PB. An independent system for real-time dynamic multileaf collimation trajectory verification using EPID, Physics in Medicine and Biology, 2014; 59: 61-81.
• Hussein M, Rowshanfarzad P, Ebert MA, Nisbet A, Clark CH. A comparison of the gamma index analysis in various commercial IMRT/VMAT QA systems, Radiotherapy and Oncology, 2013; 109: 370-376.
• Woodruff HC, Fuangrod T, Rowshanfarzad P, McCurdy BMC, Greer PB. Gantry-angle resolved VMAT pretreatment verification using EPID image prediction. Medical Physics. 2013; 40 (8): 081715-1-9. (Editor’s Pick, and Top 20 most downloaded articles in August and September 2013)
• Rowshanfarzad P, Sabet M, Michael P. Barnes, O’Connor DJ, Greer PB. EPID-based verification of the MLC performance for dynamic IMRT and VMAT. Medical Physics. 2012; 39 (10): 6192-6207. (Top 20 most downloaded articles in October and November 2012, also highlighted in the medicalphysicsweb.org)
• Rowshanfarzad P, Sabet M, O’Connor DJ, McCowan PM, McCurdy BMC, Greer PB. Gantry angle determination during arc-IMRT: Evaluation of a simple EPID-based technique and two commercial inclinometers. Journal of Applied Clinical Medical Physics. 2012; 13(6): 203-214.
• Sabet M, Rowshanfarzad P, Vial P, Menk F, Greer P. Transit dosimetry in IMRT with an a-Si EPID in direct detection configuration, Physics in Medicine and Biology. 2012; 57(15): N295-306.
• Rowshanfarzad P, Sabet M, O’Connor DJ, Greer PB. Impact of the backscattered radiation from the bunker structure on EPID dosimetry during arc-IMRT, Journal of Applied Clinical Medical Physics. 2012; 13(6): 91-100.
• Rowshanfarzad P, Sabet M, O’Connor DJ, Greer PB. Investigation of the sag in linac secondary collimator and MLC carriage during arc deliveries, Physics in Medicine and Biology, 2012; 57(12): N209-224.
• Rowshanfarzad P, Sabet M, O’Connor DJ, McCowan PM, McCurdy BMC, Greer PB. Detection and correction for EPID and gantry sag during arc delivery using cine EPID imaging, Medical Physics, 2012; 39(2): 623-635. (Top 20 most downloaded articles in January and February 2012)
• Rowshanfarzad P, Sabet M, O’Connor DJ, Greer PB. Improvement of Varian a-Si EPID dosimetry measurements using a lead-shielded support-arm, Medical Dosimetry, 2012; 37(2): 145-151.
• Rowshanfarzad P, Sabet M, O’Connor DJ, Greer PB. Isocentre verification for linac-based stereotactic radiation therapy: review of principles and techniques, Journal of Applied Clinical Medical Physics, 2011, 12(4): 185-195.
• Rowshanfarzad P, Sabet M, O’Connor DJ, Greer PB. Verification of the linac isocentre for stereotactic radiosurgery using cine-EPID imaging and arc delivery, Medical Physics, 2011; 38(7): 3963-70. (Top 20 most downloaded articles in July 2011)
• Rowshanfarzad P, McCurdy BMC, Sabet M, Lee C, O’Connor DJ, Greer PB. Measurement and modeling of the effect of support arm backscatter on dosimetry with a Varian EPID, Medical Physics, 2010; 37(5): 2269-78.
• Rowshanfarzad P, Sabet M, O’Connor DJ, Greer PB. Reduction of the effect of non-uniform support-arm backscatter for dosimetry with a Varian a-Si EPID, Physics in Medicine and Biology, 2010; 55: 6617–32.
• Jalilian AR, Rowshanfarzad P, Akhlaghi M, Sabet M, Kamali-dehghan M, M. Pouladi. Preparation and Biological Evaluation of a [55Co]-2-Acetylpyridine Thiosemicarbazone, Scientia Pharmaceutica. 2009; 77: 567-78.
• Jalilian AR, Rowshanfarzad P, Yari-Kamrani Y, Sabet M, A. Majdabadi. Preparation and evaluation of [55Co](II)DTPA for blood cell labeling, The Open Inorganic Chemistry Journal, 2009; 3:21-5.
• Jalilian AR, Rowshanfarzad P, Sabet M. Production and Application of copper radiopharmaceuticals, Current Radiopharmaceuticals . 2009; 2(2):92-101.
• Jalilian AR, Rostampour N, Rowshanfarzad P, Shafaii K, Kamali-Dehghan M, Akhlaghi M. Preclinical studies of [61Cu]ATSM as a PET radiopharmaceutical for fibrosarcoma imaging, Acta Pharmaceutica, 2009; 59(1):.45-55.
• Jalilian AR, Garousi J, Akhlaghi M, Rowshanfarzad P. Development of 111In labeled insulin for receptor imaging/therapy, Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry, 2009; 279(3): 791-796.
• Jalilian AR, Sabet M, Rowshanfarzad P, Kamali-dehghan M, Akhlaghi M, Mirzaii M. Production of copper-64 Diacetyl-bis (N4-methylthiosemicarbazone) for theraputic purposes, World Journal of Nuclear Medicine, 2008; 7(3): 166-171.
• Jalilian AR, Nikzad M, Zandi H, Nemati F, Rowshanfarzad P, Abedini M, Akhlaghi M. Preparation and evaluation of [61Cu]-thiophene-2-aldehyde thiosemicarbazone for PET studies, Nuclear Medicine Review, 2008; 11(2): 41-47.
• Jalilian AR, Sadeghi H, Zandi H, Rowshanfarzad P, Shafaii K, Kamali-Dehghan M, Garousi J, Majdabadi A, Tavakoli MB. Synthesis and Preclinical Studies of [61Cu]-N-(2-Hydroxyacetophenone)glycinate as a Possible PET Radiopharmaceutical, Scientia Pharmaceutica. 2008; 76(4), 637-651.
• Jalilian AR, Yari-Kamrani Y, Rowshanfarzad P, Sabet M, Kamali-dehghan M. Preparation and preliminary evaluation of [55Co](II)vancomycin, Nuclear Science and Techniques. 2008; 19(6)6: 347-53.
• Sadeghi M, Amiri M, Rowshanfarzad P, Gholamzadeh Z, Ensaf M. Thick zinc electrodeposition on copper substrate for cyclotron production of 64Cu, Nukleonika, 2008; 53(4), 155-160.
• Sadeghi M, Amiri M, Rowshanfarzad P, Avila M, Tereiro C. Radiochemical studies relevant to the no-carrier-added production of 61,64Cu at a cyclotron, Radiochimica Acta, 2008; 96, 399-402.
• Jalilian AR, Shanehsazzadeh S, Rowshanfarzad P, Bolourinovin F, Majdabadi A. Biodistribution study of [61Cu]pyruvaldehyde-bis(N-4-methylthiosemicarbazone) in normal rats as a PET tracer, Nuclear Science and Techniques. 2008; 19, 159-164.
• Jalilian AR, Sardari D, Kia L, Rowshanfarzad P, Garousi J, Akhlaghi M, Sanehsazzadeh S, Mirzaii M, Preparation, Quality Control and Biodistribution Studies of two [111In]-Rituximab Immunoconjugates, Scientia Pharmaceutica. 2008; 76(2), 151–170.
• Jalilian AR, Rowshanfarzad P, Yari-Kamrani Y, Shafaii K. Production and tumour uptake of [64Cu]Pyruvaldehyde- bis (N4-methylthiosemicarbazone) for PET and/or therapeutic purposes, Nuclear Medicine Review, 2007; 10(1), 6-11.
• Jalilian AR, Mirsadeghi L, Yari-Kamrani Y, Rowshanfarzad P, Kamali-dehghan M, Sabet M. Development of [64Cu]-DOTA-anti-CD20 for targeted therapy, Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry, 2007; 274(3):563-8.
• Rowshanfarzad P, Jalilian AR, Kiyomarsi M, Sabet M, A.R.Karimian, Moradkhani S, Mirzaii M. Production, quality control and initial imaging studies of [82mRb]RbCl for PET studies, Nukleonika, 2006; 51(4): 209-15.
• Sabet M, Rowshanfarzad P, Jalilian AR, Ensaf MR, Rajamand AA. Production and quality control of 66Ga radionuclide, Nukleonika, 2006; 51(3):147-54.
• Jalilian AR, Rowshanfarzad P, Sabet M, Rahiminejad-Kisomi A. Development of [66Ga]Oxine complex; a possible PET tracer, Nukleonika, 2006; 51(3):155-9.
• Jalilian AR, Rowshanfarzad P, Sabet M, Kamali-dehghan M, Mirzaii M. Optimization of [61Cu]Diacetyl-bis (N4-methylthiosemicarbazone) preparation for PET studies, Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry, 2006; 269(1): 147-54.
• Jalilian AR, Rowshanfarzad P, Sabet M, Kamalidehghan M. Preparation of [61Cu]DTPA complex as a possible PET tracer, Nukleonika, 2006; 51(2): 111-7.
• Rowshanfarzad P, Sabet M, Jalilian AR, Kamalidehghan M. An overview of copper radionuclides and production of 61Cu by proton irradiation of natZn at a medical cyclotron, Applied Radiation and Isotopes, 2006; 64(12): 1563-73.
• Jalilian AR, Rowshanfarzad P, Sabet M. Preparation of [61Cu]Pyruvaldehyde-bis (N4-methylthiosemicarbazone) complex as a possible PET radiopharmaceutical, Radiochimica Acta, 2006; 94: 113-7.
• Jalilian AR, Rowshanfarzad P, Sabet M, Shafiee A. Preparation of [61Cu]-2-Acetylpyridine thiosemicarbazone complex as a possible PET tracer in malignancies, Applied Radiation and Isotopes, 2005; 64(3): 337-41.
• Jalilian AR, Rowshanfarzad P, Shafaii K, Kamali-Dehghan M, Moafian J, Akhlaghi M, Babaii M, Mirzaii M. Development of 111In-DTPA-Human polyclonal antibody complex for long-term inflammation/infection detection, Nukleonika, 2005; 50(3):91-96.
• Rowshanfarzad P, Jalilian AR, Sabet M. Production and quality control of 65Zn radionuclide, Nukleonika, 2005; 50(3): 97-103.
• Jalilian AR, Rowshanfarzad P, Sabet M, Novinrooz A, Raisali G. Preparation of [66Ga]bleomycin complex as a possible PET radiopharmaceutical, Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry, 2005; 264(3): 617–21.
• Jalilian AR, Rowshanfarzad P, Rahiminejad_Kisomi A, Moradkhani S, Motamedi F. Preparation, biodistribution and stability of [65Zn]bleomycin complex, DARU, 2004; 12(3): 115-122.
• Jalilian AR, Rowshanfarzad P, Afarideh H, Shafiee A, Sabet M, Kyoumarsi M, Raisali G. Synthesis of 5- Ethoxycarbonyl-4-methyl-1,2,3-[75Se]selenadiazole , Applied Radiation and Isotopes, 2004; 60(5): 659-63.
• Rowshanfarzad P, Jalilian AR, Sabet M. Simultaneous production and quality control of 73Se and 75Se radioisotopes in a 30 MeV cyclotron, International Journal of Radiation Research, 2004; 2(1): 45-51.
- Future research
- • Real-time Tumor Tracking
• IMRT/VMAT QA
• Stereotactic Radiosurgery
- Funding received
- • Dr Pejman Rowshan Farzad 2015, 'Merit Award - Fellowships - Quality improvement in prostate radiotherapy: correction of respiratory-induced tumour motions.', WA Department of Health.
• Dr Pejman Rowshan Farzad (CIA), Professor Martin Ebert, Professor Sean Bydder, Dr Colin Tang, Professor Thomas Braunl, Dr Du Huynh, 2014, 'Suzanne Cavanagh ECI Grant - Safety and Quality: More accurate prostate radiotherapy treatments', Cancer Council of Western Australia.
• Mr Benjamin Hug, Dr Mahsheed Sabet, Professor Martin Ebert, Dr Pejman Rowshan Farzad (AI); 2014, 'Introduction of a transmission device for independent in vivo fluence monitoring for complex treatment deliveries: Evaluation of a aSi flat-panel detector'- 2014/15 Annual Research Grants, Sir Charles Gairdner Osborne Park Health Care Group (SCGOPHCG).
• Professor Martin Ebert, Professor Sean Bydder, Dr Colin Tang, Dr Pejman Rowshan Farzad (AI), Professor Thomas Braunl, Dr Du Huynh; 2014, Quality improvement in prostate radiotherapy: correction of respiratory-induced tumour motions' - 2014/15 Annual Research Grants, Sir Charles Gairdner Osborne Park Health Care Group (SCGOPHCG).
- - Full Member of the Society of Radiopharmaceutical Sciences (SRS)
- Ordinary Member of Australian and New Zealand Society of Nuclear Medicine (ANZSNM)
• Member of Editorial Board for:
- Austin Journal of Radiation Oncology and Cancer
- Review Editor in Frontiers in Oncology.
• Review for Journals:
- Guest Associate Editor for Medical Physics (official journal of the American Association of Physicists in Medicine).
- Review for Medical Physics (official journal of the American Association of Physicists in Medicine).
- Review for International Journal of Radiation Oncology • Biology • Physics (official journal of the American Society for Radiation Oncology).
- Review for Journal of Applied Clinical Medical Physics (official journal of the American Association of Physicists in Medicine).
- Review for Physics in Medicine and Biology (the Institute of Physics and Engineering in Medicine (IPEM), York, UK).
- Review for Technology in Cancer Research and Treatment (TCRT), Adenine Press, NY, USA.
- Review for Australasian Physical & Engineering Sciences in Medicine, The Official Journal of the Australasian College of Physical Scientists and Engineers.
- Review for Alexandria Journal of Medicine (Elsevier).
- Review for International Journal of Radiation Research (IJRR).
• Grant Review:
- External Assessor for National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)
- Assessor for Early Career Investigator Grants, Cancer Council WA
- Grant review for Dutch Technology Foundation (STW)
- Honours and awards
- • Part of his PhD work including codes for IMRT and VMAT QA is licensed by the Standard Imaging Company (Middleton, Wisconsin, US).
• Faculty Award for Outstanding Postgraduate (Research) Student Achievement in 2011, Faculty of Science and Information Technology, University of Newcastle, Australia.
• Thesis Submission Scholarship in 2012 (for completion of a PhD and thesis submission in 3 years), Faculty of Science and Information Technology, University of Newcastle, Australia.
• International Tuition Fees Scholarship (UNIPRS) 2009-2012 from the University of Newcastle
• The University of Newcastle Research Scholarship External (UNRSE) NHMRC 2009 for PhD research
• University of Newcastle Research Scholarship Central 50:50 (UNRSC50:50) 2010-2012
• The Faculty of Science and IT Conference Scholarship in 2011
• National Prize for Superior Researchers in 2005, Iran
• Superior Academic Researcher's Prize in Ferdowsi Scientific Festival, Iran, 2002
- Previous positions
- • Research Associate at the University of Newcastle and medical physics research group at Calvary Mater Newcastle Hospital, 2012
• Research Assistant at the department of radiation oncology in Calvary Mater Newcastle hospital, 2008
• Medical Physicist and Researcher at the Iranian Medical Cyclotron, 2002-2007
- >> Radiation Physics:
• Radiation Basics
• Sources of Radiation: Natural
• Sources of radiation: Artificial
• Nuclear Structure & Stability
• Radioactivity: Modes of Decay
• Radioactivity: Kinetics
• Charged Particle Interactions
• Photon interactions
• Neutron Interactions
• Calibration Protocols
• Radiotherapy Treatment Machines
• High energy (megavoltage) machines – design considerations
>> Radiotherapy Physics:
• Air kerma in air method (TRS 277)
• Absorbed dose determination in external beam radiotherapy (TRS 398)
• Measurement of Dose Distribution
• X-ray generators
• Thin-target and thick-target bremsstrahlung radiation
• Gamma ray beams and gamma ray units (Cobalt Machines)
• Radiotherapy Treatment Machines: Particle Accelerators (design considerations)
• Medical linear accelerator: Principle of operation, Structure
>> Special Techniques in Radiotherapy:
• Intra-Operative Radiotherapy (IORT)
• Ion Beam/Proton Therapy
• Volumetric Modulated Arc Therapy (VMAT)
• Stereotactic Radiotherapy
• Image-Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT)
• Flattening Filter Free Linacs
>> Nuclear Medicine, Radionuclides, Radiopharmaceuticals and Imaging:
• Reactor-Produced Radioisotopes
• Cyclotron-Produced Radioisotopes
• Radiopharmaceuticals for diagnostic and Therapy Applications
• Requirements for all radiopharmaceuticals (GMP)
• Nuclear Medicine Imaging
• Detectors and Gamma Cameras
• Types of Gamma Cameras and their Clinical Uses
• Planar Imaging and its Clinical Applications
• Production and properties of radioactive sources for Targeted Radiotherapy
>> Positron Emission Tomography (PET):
• Physical properties imaged
• Clinical applications
• Annihilation Coincidence Detection (ACD)
• Factors Effecting Resolution & Image Quality
>> Non-imaging procedures and QC tests for Nuclear Medicine:
• Non-imaging procedures
• 51Cr red cell labelling procedures
• Absorption of vitamin B12
• Breath tests
• Quality control of nuclear medicine Instrumentation
• GMP in nuclear medicine
• Dose calibrators
• Scintillation (gamma) cameras
• PET Cameras
• SPECT/CT and PET/CT Image Registration
• QC for the CT component
- Current external positions
- Conjoint Medical Physics Lecturer at the School of Mathematical and Physical Sciences, University of Newcastle.
- Useful links
- New and noteworthy
- Media Releases:
- Seating adaption aids prostate cancer remedy; Medical Press, Provided by Science Network WA
- Cancer Council Western Australia; Parmelia Hilton Perth; Research Awards Lunch on 27 March 2015
- Cancer Council Western Australia; Targeted prostate cancer treatment now well positioned; 13 April 2015
- Government of Western Australia, Project Grant Merit Award recipients for 2015
- Research profile
Research profile and publications