Professor Andreas Wicenec
Director, Data Intensive Astronomy
Radio Astronomy Research, International Centre for (ICRAR)
- Contact details
- International Centre for Radio Astronomy Research (ICRAR)
The University of Western Australia (M468)
35 Stirling Highway
CRAWLEY WA 6009
- +61 8 6488 7847
- Winthrop Research Professor at the University of Western Australia since 2010, leading the Information and Communication Technology (ICT) Program of the International Centre for Radio Astronomy Research (ICRAR) to research, design and implement data flows and high performance scientific computing for the Murchison Wide Field Array (MWA), the Australian SKA Pathfinder and the SKA. During his graduate, post-graduate and post-doctoral appointments, he was involved in the software development and reduction of photometric and astrometric Tycho data from the Hipparcos satellite. He joined ESO in 1997 as an archive specialist and was involved in the final implementation of the archive for ESO's Very Large Telescope (VLT) and the ESO Imaging Survey. Between 2002 and 2010, he was employed as ESO's Archive Scientist and led the ALMA archive subsystem development group. Prof. Wicenec is also involved in the International Virtual Observatory Alliance (IVOA). His scientific interests and publications include high precision global astrometry, optical background radiation, stellar photometry, dynamics and evolution of planetary nebulae and observational survey astronomy and the related scheduling and computational concepts.
- Key research
- Efficient data archiving and data flow optimization. High performance persistence systems. Large scale astronomical survey systems. High precision astrometry and photometry and stellar dynamics.
- About 100 publications, including about 20 refereed papers.
The most important paper got almost 1200 citations (Google Scholar):
Høg, E.; Fabricius, C.; Makarov, V. V.; Urban, S.; Corbin, T.; Wycoff, G.; Bastian, U.; Schwekendiek, P.; Wicenec, A.; "The Tycho-2 catalogue of the 2.5 million brightest stars", Astronomy and Astrophysics, v.355, p.L27-L30 (2000)
- Future research
- Design, architecture and implementation of the global SKA data layer.
- German (mother tongue), English, Spanish (basic)
- International Astronomical Union (IAU)
Executive Member of the International Virtual Observatory Alliance(IVOA)
German Physics Society
IAU FITS Working Group
- Honours and awards
- Special Award from the Director General of the European Space Agency (ESA) for the contribution to the success of the Hipparcos satellite.
- Previous positions
- Archive Specialist and Archive Scientist at European Southern Observatory
Lead of the ALMA Archive Development Team
Lead of the Hipparcos/Tycho data reduction team at the Astronomical Institute in Tübingen/Germany
- HPC course
- Current external positions
- Editor Astronomy & Computing Journal
- Useful links
- Current projects
- Murchison Wide Field Array Data Management
Australian SKA Pathfinder Data-intensive science reduction system
SKA Science Data Processor Consortium
- Research profile
Research profile and publications