Professor Cheryl Praeger AM FAA
Teaching and Research Staff (School of Mathematics and Statistics)
- Contact details
- Teaching and Research Staff
The University of Western Australia (M019)
35 Stirling Highway
CRAWLEY WA 6009
- +61 8 6488 3344
- +61 8 6488 1028
- Personal homepage
- Room 1.33, Mathematics Building, Perth campus
- BSc Qld, MSc Qld & Oxf., DPhil Oxf., DSc W.Aust., Hon.DSc Prince of Songkla, Hon.DHC Libre de Bruxelles, AMusA
- Professor Cheryl Praeger is Professor of Mathematics. She is a Former Australian Research Council Federation Fellow and former Director of the Centre for Mathematics of Symmetry and Computation. She is also Foreign Secretary of the Australian Academy of Science.
Professor Praeger received BSc and MSc degrees from the University of Queensland, a DPhil from the University of Oxford in 1973, and has received honorary doctorates from the Prince of Songkla University (Thailand, 1993), the Universite Libre de Bruxelles (Belgium, 2005), Yazd University (Iran, 2015), and the University of St Andrews (Scotland, 2015). Her research has focussed on the theory of group actions and their applications in Algebraic Graph Theory and to Combinatorial Designs; and algorithms for group computation including questions in statistical group theory and algorithmic complexity.
Prior to appointment at The University of Western Australia she held a Research Fellowship at the Australian National University and taught for a semester at the University of Virginia. She has taught in the Mathematics and Statistics program at UWA and was Head of the Department of Mathematics 1992-1994, inaugural Dean of Postgraduate Research Studies 1996-1998, Chair Promotions and Tenure Committee 2000-2004, Deputy Dean of the Faculty of Engineering Computing and Mathematics 2003-2006, and ARC Professorial Fellow 2007.
Professor Praeger is a member of the Order of Australia, Fellow of the Australian Academy of Science. She was Executive Committee member of the International Mathematical Union (2007-14), Vice President of the International Commission for Mathematical Instruction (2012-16), member of the Australian Research Council College of Experts (2011-2013), President of the Australian Mathematical Society (1992094), Chair of the Australian Council of Heads of Mathematical Sciences (2008-10). She is currently (foundation) board member of the Australian Mathematics Trust, Chair of the Australian Mathematics Olympiad Committee. She was 2009 Western Australian Scientist of the Year, and was the 2015 Inductee into the Western Australian Science Hall of Fame.
- Key research
- Group Theory and Combinatorics, including Analysis of algorithms and complexity,
- Discrete Mathematics and
- Her list of Publications can be found at http://school.maths.uwa.edu.au/~praeger/research.html
- The maximal factorizations of the finite simple groups and their automorphism groups, (with M.W. Liebeck and J. Saxl) Memoirs Amer. Math. Soc. 86, (1990), No. 432. ISSN 006509266.
Low rank representations and graphs for sporadic groups, (with L. H. Soicher), Australian Math. Soc. Lecture Series, Vol. 8, Cambridge University Press (1997). ISBN 0 521 56737 8 paperback. (Reviewed in Bull. London Math. Soc. 30, 1998, by Robert T. Curtis.)i
A generating function approach to the enumeration of matrices in classical groups over finite fields, (with Jason Fulman and Peter M. Neumann), Memoirs, Amer. Math. Soc. 176 (2005), No. 830. ISSN 0065-9266.
On regular subgroups of primitive permutation groups, (with M. W. Liebeck and J. Saxl) Memoirs Amer. Math. Soc. vol. 203, 2010, No. 952. ISSN 006509266.
more publications http://school.maths.uwa.edu.au/~praeger/research.html
- Roles, responsibilities and expertise
- Various Editorial positions: http://school.maths.uwa.edu.au/~praeger/editorialpositions.html
- Funding received
- Continuous funding from the ARC since the 1990s.
- Industrial relevance
- Data Analysis Australia, Director since 1989
- more memberships http://school.maths.uwa.edu.au/~praeger/memberships.html
- List of postgraduate and honours students that I have supervised
- Research profile
Research profile and publications