Asst/Prof Ian Li
Population Health, School of
- Contact details
- School of Population Health
The University of Western Australia (M431)
35 Stirling Highway
CRAWLEY WA 6009
- +61 8 6488 1295
- +61 8 6488 1016
- BEc W.Aust.
- Ian is an economist with research interests in the applied areas of education, labour and health economics. He is currently based at the School of Population Health, where he teaches and coordinates the undergraduate and postgraduate health economics and policy units. He has taught across the faculties of business, law and medicine/health, and has received teaching awards from all three faculties. Ian was UWA's nominee for an Australian Award for University Teaching in 2014. He has received six competitive Excellence in Teaching Awards at UWA.
Ian has published in policy-oriented journals, such as the Australian Economic Review, and international journals such as Education Economics. His research on the higher education labour market in Australia have attracted considerable media interest and coverage on national broadsheets such as The Australian and radio shows such as the ABC. His research on the gender wage gap in Australia has also been covered by Cleo magazine. Ian is currently involved in several projects as the lead or chief investigator (see below for funding track record). Ian's research achievements were recognised with a UWA Vice-Chancellor's Early Career Investigator Award in 2015.
Ian coordinates the Population Health Honours and Masters of Public Health Dissertation programs, and is a member of the Teaching Executive Committee and Board of Examiners at the School of Population Health, UWA.
- Key research
- Labour Economics
- Education Economics
- Health Economics
- Economic evaluation
- Details on publications and research funding can be viewed through the research profile link below. This information is updated annually.
- Roles, responsibilities and expertise
- SPH Honours program coordinator
SPH Masters Dissertations coordinator
- Funding received
- Ian has been funded by several prominent organisations and funding schemes, including funds from the National Health and Medical Research Council, National Centre for Vocational Education Research, National Centre for Student Equity in Higher Education, the Drug and Alcohol Office and The Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet. The amount of research funding he has obtained as a chief investigator is in excess of A.5 million (up to 2016).
For a (non-exhaustive) list of research funding received, please click on the "Research Profile and Publications" link near the bottom of this page.
- Economic Society of Australia
Australian Society of Labour Economists
Australian Health Economics Society
International Health Economics Association
- Honours and awards
- Special Commendation for Outstanding Contribution to Student Learning 2016
Excellence in Teaching Award 2016 (Postgraduate Coursework)
UWA Vice-Chancellor's Early Career Investigator Awards 2015
UWA Student Guild Students' Choice Award 2014
Excellence in Teaching (Early Career) 2013 - Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences, UWA
Outstanding Contribution to Student Learning 2011 - Faculty of Law, UWA
Faculty Excellence in Teaching Award 2010 - UWA Business School
- Previous positions
- Associate Lecturer, UWA Business School
Tutor, Faculty of Law, University of Western Australia
Health Systems and Economics
Health Systems and Policy
- Current external positions
- West Australian Drug Evaluation Panel
Steering Committee Member for Chronic Diseases of Childhood, Telethon Kids Institute
- Research profile
Research profile and publications