W/Prof Jiake Xu
Winthrop Professor/Head of Molecular Laboratory
Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, School of
- Contact details
- School of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
The University of Western Australia (M504)
35 Stirling Highway
CRAWLEY WA 6009
- +61 8 9346 2739
- +61 8 9346 2891
- Room 1.4H, M Block, QEII Medical Centre, Nedlands
- MB BS Guangzhou, PhD W.Aust.
- Dr Jiake Xu is currently Winthrop Professor and Head of Laboratory in the School of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine at the University of Western Australia.
He is also a founding Fellow, Faculty of Science, the Royal College of Pathologists of Australia, and has been appointed the President of the Australian and New Zealand Orthopaedic Research Society (ANZORS, 2012-2015).
He finished his medical training in Guangzhou Medical College in China in 1985. After completing his PhD studies at UWA in 1994, he carried out his postdoctoral research at Stanford University from 1994 to 1998. He returned to UWA in 1998, and has since undertaken research and teaching in the Schools of Surgery and Pathology and Laboratory Medicine.
His current research activities are focused on gene discovery, molecular mechanisms of osteoclast functions and the intercellular communication between osteoclasts and osteoblasts, which have significant implication in bone diseases; including osteoporosis, Paget's disease of bone and malignancy-related osteolysis.
- Key research
- •Osteoimmunology, osteolysis, and mechanisms of bone resorption.
- •RANKL signalling transduction pathways and transcription program
- •Screening of natural compounds for the treatment of osteoporosis
- •Deciphering the molecular basis of musculoskeletal diseases using ENU-induced mutant mice
- •Osteoclast and osteoblast intercellular communication
- Prof Xu has published over 140 papers in journals; including Nature Medicine, Nature Communications, PNAS, Mol. Cell. Biol. , J Biol. Chem. , J Bone Miner Res. , Am J Pathol, and Endocrine Reviews. Recent selected publications include:
1. Feng H, Cheng T, Pavlos N, Yip KH, Seeber R, Eidne K, Zheng MH, Xu J (2008) Cytoplasmic terminus of a vacuolar type proton pump accessory subunit Ac45 is required for proper interaction with V0 domain subunits and efficient osteoclastic bone resorption. J Biol Chem. 9;283(19):13194-204.
2. Feng H, Cheng T, Steer JH, Joyce DA, Pavlos NJ, Leong C, Kular J, Liu J, Feng X, Zheng MH, Xu J. (2009) MEF2 and MITF cooperate with NFATC1 to transactivate the V-ATPase D2 promoter during RANKL-induced osteoclastogenesis. J Biol Chem. 22;284(21):14667-76.
3. Cheng T, Pavlos NJ, Wang C, Tan JW, Lin JM, Cornish J, Zheng MH, Xu J. (2009) Mutations within the TNF-like core domain of RANKL impair osteoclast differentiation and activation. Mol Endocrinol. 23(1):35-46.
4. Xu J, Wu HF, Ang ESM, Yip K, Woloszyn M, Zheng MH, Tan RX (2009) NF-kB modulators in osteolytic bone diseases. Cytokine Growth Factor Rev. 20(1):7-17.
5. Rea SL, Walsh JP, Ward L, Magno AL, Ward BK, Shaw B, Layfield R, Kent GN, Xu J, Ratajczak T. (2009) Sequestosome 1 Mutations in Paget's Disease of Bone in Australia: Prevalence, Genotype/Phenotype Correlation and a Novel Non-UBA Domain Mutation (P364S) Associated with Increased NF-kappaB Signaling Without Loss of Ubiquitin-Binding. J Bone Miner Res. 24(7):1216-23.
6. Pavlos NJ, Cheng TS, Qin A, Ng PY, Feng HT, Ang ES, Carrello A, Sung CH, Jahn R, Zheng MH, Xu J (2011) Tctex-1, a novel interaction partner of Rab3D, is required for osteoclastic bone resorption. Mol. Cell. Biol 31(7):1551-64.
7. Chim SM, Qin A, Tickner J, Pavlos NJ, Davey T, Wang H, Guo Y, Zheng MH, Xu J. (2011) EGFL6 promotes endothelial cell migration and angiogenesis through the activation of ERK. J Biol Chem. 286(25):22035-46.
8. Guo J, Ren F, Wang Y, Li S, Gao Z, Wang X, Ning H, Wu J, Li Y, Wang Z, Chim SM, Xu J, Chang Z. (2012) miR-764-5p promotes osteoblast differentiation through inhibition of CHIP/STUB1 expression. J Bone Miner Res. 2012 Mar 9.
9. Thomas E, Lee-Pullen T, Rigby P, Hartmann P, Xu J, Zeps N. (2012) Receptor Activator of NF-κB Ligand Promotes Proliferation of a Putative Mammary Stem Cell Unique to the Lactating Epithelium. Stem Cells. 30(6):1255-64.
10. Rea SL, Walsh JP, Layfield R, Ratajczak T, Xu J. (2013) New insights into the role of Sequestosome 1/p62 mutant proteins in the pathogenesis of Paget's disease of bone. Endocrine Reviews. 34(4):501-24 (IF 19.75).
11. Liang C, Guo B, Wu H, Shao N, Li D, Liu J, Dang L, Wang C, Li H, Li S, Lau W, Yang Z, Lu C, He X, Au DWT, Pan X, Zhang B, Lu C, Zhang H, Yue K, Qian A, Shang P, Xu J, Xiao L, Bian Z, Tan W, Liang Z, He F, Zhang L, Lu A, Zhang G. Aptamer-functionalized lipid nanoparticles targeting osteoblasts as a novel RNA interference-based bone anabolic strategy. Nat Med. 2015 Mar;21(3):288-94.
12. Kular J, Tickner JC, Pavlos NJ, Viola HM, Abel T, Lim BS, Yang X, Chen H, Cook R, Hool LC, Zheng MH, Xu J. Choline Kinase Beta Mutant Mice Exhibit Reduced Phosphocholine, Elevated Osteoclast Activity and Low Bone Mass. J Biol Chem. 2015 Jan 16;290(3):1729-42.
- Roles, responsibilities and expertise
- Prof Xu is current President of the Australian and New Zealand Orthopaedic Research Society (ANZORS). He also served as the treasurer and a scientific program committee member for the Australian and New Zealand Orthopaedic Research Society (ANZORS) from 2003 -2012, and as an elected member of the Board of Directors for the International Chinese Hard Tissue Society (ICHTS) since 2005. He also serves as a committee member in the Research Committee of the Australian and New Zealand Bone and Mineral Society (ANZBMS).
- Funding received
- From 2000 to 2015 received
15 NHMRC as a chief investigator
1 ARC as a chief investigator
- He is a member of the following organisations:
- American Society of Bone and Mineral Research (ASBMR)
- American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (ASBMB)
- Australian & New Zealand Bone and Mineral Society
- Australian & New Zealand Orthopedic Research Society
- International Bone and Mineral Society
- International Chinese Hard Tissue Society
- Honours and awards
- Career Enhancement Award, the American Society of Bone and Mineral Research (ASBMR), 2005.
Excellence in Teaching Awards, UWA, 2006.
Endeavour Executive Award, the Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations (DEEWR), 2010.
Professional Development Award, Aspire Program, 2012.
Excellence in Teaching Awards, UWA, 2016.
- Teaching and/or teaching Coordinator for
- Current external positions
- •Founding Fellow, Faculty of Science, the Royal College of Pathologists of Australia
•Panel member and assessor for the National Health and Medical Research Council, and Australian Research Council
•Grant assessor for the National Cancer Foundation and the Australian Dental Research Foundation
•Chair, the Australia Chinese Association for Biomedical Sciences WA Inc. (ACABS, WA)
•President, the Australian and New Zealand Orthopaedic Research Society (ANZORS), 2012-2015
- New and noteworthy
- JBC Editorial Board Member, Journal of Biological Chemistry, an official ASBMB journal.
- FOR 110316, SEO 920116
- Research profile
Research profile and publications