Dr E. Juerg Weber
Senior Honorary Research Fellow
Business School Adjunct and Honorary Staff
- Contact details
- Business School Adjunct and Honorary Staff
The University of Western Australia (M252)
35 Stirling Highway
CRAWLEY WA 6009
- BSc(Ec) Zurich, MA PhD Roch.
- Dr Weber is a macroeconomist with research interests in monetary economics and insurance economics. He has written articles on monetary policy, central banking and the operation of monetary systems. His research on insurance deals with the provision of multi-peril crop insurance in drought affected areas. Since his retirement as Associate Professor in 2015, Dr Weber has been associated with the Business School as Senior Honorary Research Fellow and he has continued to teach classes in monetary economics and mathematical economics. Before joining UWA, Dr Weber taught economics at the University of Zurich, Switzerland, University of Rochester, New York, California State University, Northridge, and Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand.
Dr Weber is a team member, Centre of Integrative Bee Research, Plant Energy Biology, UWA, and he serves as Honorary Consul for Switzerland in Western Australia.
- Key research
- Monetary economics
- Insurance economics
- Collins, J., Baer, B. and Weber, E.J. (2015) ‘Sexual Selection, Conspicuous Consumption and Economic Growth’, Journal of Bioeconomics, 17, 189-206.
Collins, J., Baer, B. and Weber, E.J. (2014) ‘Economic Growth and Evolution: Parental Preference for Quality and Quantity of Offspring’, Macroeconomic Dynamics, 18/8, 1773-1796.
Khuu, A. and Weber, E.J. (2013) ‘How Australian Farmers Deal with Risk’, Agricultural Finance Review, 73/2, 345 - 357.
Pawley, J. and Weber, E.J. (2011) ‘Investment, Technical Progress and the Consequences of the Global Economic Crisis’, in de La Grandville, O. (ed.) Economic Growth and Development, Frontiers of Economics and Globalization, Vol. 11, Bingley, UK: Emerald, 483-492.
Weber, E.J. (2011) ‘Wilfred E.G. Salter: The Merits of a Classical Economic Education’, History of Economics Review, 54, 111-130.
Weber, E.J. (2011) ‘Computational Macroeconomics for the Open Economy’ by Lim, G.C. and McNelis, P.D., book review, Economic Record, 87/277, 353-355.
McLure, M., Turkington D. and Weber, E.J. (2010) ‘A Conversation with Arnold Zellner’, History of Economics Review, 51. (Reprinted in Parameter, Chicago Chapter of the American Statistical Association, 2010)
Weber, E.J. (2010) ‘The Role of the Real Interest Rate in U.S. Macroeconomic History’, B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics, 10(1), Article 7.
Weber, E.J. (2009) ‘A Short History of Derivative Security Markets’, in Hafner, W. and Zimmermann, H. (eds) Vinzenz Bronzin's Option Pricing Models, Berlin and Heidelberg: Springer, 431-466.
Hallam A. and Weber, E.J. (2008) ‘Labour Taxes and Work Hours in Australia’, Australian Journal of Labour Economics, 11(2), 117-128.
Weber, E.J. (2008) ‘Money and Inflation in a Macroeconomic Model with Indexed Bonds’, Review Article, History of Economics Review, 47, 139-147.
Weber, E.J. (2007) ‘Optimal Control Theory for Undergraduates Using the Microsoft Excel Solver Tool’, Computers in Higher Education Economics Review (CHEER), 19, 4-15.
Weber, E.J. (2006) ‘Monetary Policy in a Heterogeneous Monetary Union: The Australian Experience’, Applied Economics, 38, 2487-2495.
Weber, E.J. (2005) ‘What Determines Australian Interest Rates?’ Journal of Australian Political Economy, 55, 123-129.
Weber, E.J. (2003) ‘Switzerland Before 1815’, Oxford Encyclopedia of Economic History, Vol 5, Oxford University Press, 42-44.
Weber, E.J. (2003) ‘The Misuse of Central Bank Gold Holdings’, in Tcha, M. (ed.) Gold and the Modern World Economy, London: Routledge, 64-80.
Weber, E.J. (1998) ‘The IMF and Indonesia: Two Equal Partners’, Policy, 14(3), Spring, 23-28.
Weber, E.J. (1996) ‘'Imaginary' or 'Real' Moneys of Account in Medieval Europe? An Econometric Analysis of the Basle Pound, 1365-1429’, Explorations in Economic History, 33, 479-495.
Weber, E.J. (1996) ‘Economic Growth’, review article, Journal of Economic Surveys, 10(3), 357-365.
Weber, E.J. (1994) ‘The Role of Money During the Recession in Australia in 1990-92’, Applied Financial Economics, 4, 355-361. Reprinted in Stemp, P. and Milne-Pott, J. (eds) Australian Readings in Monetary and Financial Economics, Melbourne: Longman, 1996, 315-323.
Weber, E.J. (1994) ‘Will Inflation Return?’ Policy 10(2), Winter, 3-6.
Weber, E.J. (1993) ‘The Economics of Monetary Integration’ by P. de Grauwe, book review, Economic Record, 69(206), 345-347.
Charleson L.R. and Weber, E.J. (1993) ‘Energy Forecasts for Western Australia’, 1992-2010, Energy Economics, 15, April, 111-122.
Weber, E.J. (1992) ‘Free Banking in Switzer¬land After the Liberal Revolutions in the Nineteenth Century’, in Dowd, K. (ed.) The Experience of Free Banking, London: Routledge, 187-205.
Chen, D., Clements, K.W. and Roberts, E.J. and Weber, E.J. (1991) ‘Forecasting Steel Demand in China’, Resources Policy, September, 196-210.
Weber, E.J. (1988) ‘Currency Competition in Switzerland’, 1826-1850, Kyklos, 41, 459-478.
Weber E.J. (1986) ‘The Causes of Bank Failures: Deflationary Spells’, Economics Letters, 20, 359-362.
- Economics Society of Australia
American Economic Association
Swiss-Australian Chamber of Commerce and Industry
Swiss-Australian Academic Network
- Previous positions
- Coordinator, Master of Economics Program, University of Western Australia (1995-2004)
Visiting Lecturer, University of Zurich (Winter semester 1996/97)
Lecturer, Victoria University of Wellington (1987-1989)
Assistant Professor, California State University (1983-1989)
Mathematics for economists
- Current external positions
- Team Member, Centre for Integrative Bee Research (CIBER), ARC Centre of Excellence in Plant Energy Biology, University of Western Australia (since 2013)
Honorary Consul for Switzerland in Western Australia (since 1993)
- Research profile
Research profile and publications