Assoc/Prof Leon Adams
Associate Professor (Hepatology)
Medicine and Pharmacology, School of, QEII Medical Centre Unit
- Contact details
- School of Medicine and Pharmacology QEII Medical Centre Unit
The University of Western Australia (M503)
35 Stirling Highway
CRAWLEY WA 6009
- +61 8 6151 0835
- MB BS PhD W.Aust., FRACP
- Original Articles:
1. Adams LA, White SW, Marsh JA, Lye SJ, Connor KL, Maganga R, Ayonrinde OT, Olynyk JK, Mori TA, Beilin LJ, Palmer LJ, Pennell CE. Association between liver-specific gene polymorphisms and their expression levels with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. Hepatology 2013; 57 (2); 590-600.
2. O’Sullivan TA, Oddy WH, Bremner AP, Sherriff JL, Ayonrinde OT, Olynyk JK, Beilin LJ, Mori TA, Adams LA. Lower fructose intake may help protect against development of non-alcoholic fatty liver in obese adolescents. Journal of Paediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition. Accepted 8/6/2013.
3. Huang RC, Beilin L, Ayonrinde O, Mori T, Olynyk JK, Burrows S, Hands B, Adams LA. The importance of cardio-metabolic risk factors in the association between non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and arterial stiffness. Hepatology, accepted 18/4/2013.
4. Oddy WH, Herbison C, Jacoby P, Ambrosini GL, O’Sullivan TA, Ayonrinde OT, Olynyk JK, Beilin LJ, Mori TA, Hands B, Adams LA. The Western dietary pattern is prospectively associated with fatty liver disease in adolescence. American Journal of Gastroenterology 2013 May;108(5):778-85.
5. Heeks LV, Hooper AJ, Adams LA, Robbins P, Barrett PH, van Bockxmeer FM, Burnett JR. Non-alcoholic steatohepatitis-related cirrhosis in a patient with APOB L343V familial hypobetalipoproteinaemia. Clin Chim Acta. 2013 Jun 5;421:121-5. doi: 10.1016/j. cca.2013.03.004. Epub 2013 Mar 13.
6. Wong ATY, Chan DC, Barrett PHR, Adams LA, Watts GF. Supplementation with n3 Fatty Acid Ethyl Esters Increases Large and Small Arterial Elasticity in Obese Adults on a Weight Loss Diet. Journal of Nutrition, 2013 Apr;143(4):437-41.
7. Yong K, Dogra G, Boudville N, Chan D, Adams L, Ching H, Lim EM, Lim WH. Interleukin-12 is associated with arterial stiffness in healthy individuals. Am J Hypertens.2013 Feb;26(2):159-62.
8. Nwaba A, MacQuillan G, Adams LA, Garas G, Delriviere L, Augustson B, DeBoer B, Moody H, Jeffrey GP. Tacrolimus-induced thrombotic microangiopathy in orthotopic liver transplant patients: case series of four patients. Intern Med J. 2013 Mar;43:328-33.
9. House MJ, Gan EK, Adams LA, Ayonrinde OT, Bangma AJ, Bhathal PS, Olynyk JK, St.Pierre TG. Diagnostic performance of a rapid magnetic resonance imaging method of measuring hepatic steatosis. PLOS One, Accepted 14/2/2013.
10. Huang Y, de Boer WB, Adams LA, MacQuillan G, Rossi E, Rigby P, Raftopoulos SC, Bulsara M, Jeffrey GP Image analysis of liver collagen using sirius red is more accurate and correlates better with serum fibrosis markers than trichrome. Liver International, Accepted February 2013.
11. Rossi E, Adams LA, Ching HL, Bulsara M, Macquillan GC, Jeffrey GP. High biological variation of serum hyaluronic acid and Hepascore, a biochemical marker model for the prediction of liver fibrosis. Clin Chem Lab Med.2012 Nov 8:1-8.
12. Huang RC, Galati JC, Burrows S, Beilin LJ, Li X, Pennell CE, van Eekelen J, Mori TA, Adams LA, Craig JM. DNA methylation of the IGF2/H19 imprinting control region and adiposity distribution in young adults. Clin Epigenetics. 2012 Nov 13;4(1):21
13. Casey SP, Kemp WW, McLean CA, Topliss DJ, Adams LA, Roberts SK. A prospective evalulation of the role of transient elastography for the detection of hepatic fibrosis in type 2 diabetes without overt liver disease. Scand. J Gastroenterol. 2012 Jul; 47(7):836-41.
14. Adams LA, March JA, Ayonrinde AT, Olynyk JK, Ang WQ, Beilin LJ, Mori TA, Palmer LJ, Oddy WW, Lye SJ, Pennell CE. Cholesteryl ester transfer protein gene polymorphisms increase the risk of fatty liver in females independent of adiposity. Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, 2012 Sep;27(9):1520-7
15. Malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumour of the liver. Subramaniam K, Dessauvagie B, hardie M, Weber D, Adams L, MacQuillan G, Jeffrey G, Garas G, de Boer B. Pathology 2012 Apr; 44(3): 265-7.
16. Treeprasertsuk S, Leverage S, Adams LA, Lindor KD, St Sauver J, Angulo P. The Framingham risk score and heart disease in non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. Liver International. 2012: 32 (6); 945-50.
17. Adams LA, George J, Bugianesi E, Rossi E, De Boer WB, van der Poorten D, Ching HLI, Bulsara M, Jeffrey GP. Complex non-invasive fibrosis models are more accurate than simple models in non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, 2011, Oct;26(10):1536-1543.
18. Raftopoulos SC, George J, Bourliere M, Rossi E, de Boer WB, Jeffrey GP, Bulsara M, Speers DJ, Macquillan G, Ching HL, Kontorinis N, Cheng W, Flexman J, Fermoyle S, Rigby P, Walsh L, McLeod D, Adams LA. Comparison of non-invasive models of fibrosis in chronic hepatitis B. Hepatology International, 2012; 6: 457-467.
19. Bhala N, Angulo P, van der Poorten D, Lee E, Hui JM, Saracco G, Adams LA, Charatcharoenwitthaya P, Topping JH, Bugianesi E, Day CP, George J. The Natural History of Non-alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease with Advanced Fibrosis or Cirrhosis: An International Collaborative Study. Hepatology, 2011, Oct;54(4):1208-16
20. Ayonrinde OT, Olynyk JK, Beilin LJ, Mori TA, Pennell CE, de Klerk N, Oddy WH, Shipman P, Adams LA. Gender Specific Differences In Adipose Distribution And Adipocytokines Influence Adolescent NAFLD. Hepatology. 2011, 53(3):800-9.
21. Lee S, Varano J, Flexman JP, Cheng W, Watson MW, Rossi E, Adams LA, Bulsara M, Price P. Decreased IP-10 and elevated TGFbeta1 levels are associated with viral clearance following therapy in patients with hepatitis C virus. Dis Markers. 2010 Jan 1;28(5):273-80.
22. Adams LA, Angulo P, Petz J, Keach J, Lindor KD. A pilot trial of high dose ursodeoxycholic acid. Hepatology Int, 2010; 4(3): 628-33.
23. Adams LA, Harmsen S, StSauvier JL, Charatcharoenwitthaya P, Enders FB, Therneau T, Angulo P. Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease increases risk of death among patients with diabetes: A community-based cohort study. American Journal of Gastroenterology. 2010 Jul;105(7):1567-73
24. So K, Macquillan GC, Adams LA, Delriviere L, Mitchell A, Moody H, Wood DJ, Junckerstorff RC, Jeffrey GP. Malignant fibrous histiocytoma complicating nephrogenic systemic fibrosis post liver transplantation. Intern Med J.2009;39:613-7.
25. Thin LW, Wong DD, De Boer BW, Ferguson JM, Adams L, Macquillan G, Delriviere L, Mitchell A, Jeffrey GP. Hepatic epithelioid haemangioendothelioma: challenges in diagnosis and management. Intern Med J. 2009 Aug 27. [Epub ahead of print]
26. Adams LA, Waters OR, Knuiman MW, Elliott RR, Olynyk JK. NAFLD as a risk factor for the development of diabetes and the metabolic syndrome: An eleven year follow-up study. American J. of Gastroenterology. 2009; 104:861-7.
27. Thin L, Macquillan G, Adams L, Garas G, Seow C, Cannell P, Augustson B, Mitchell A, Delriveire L, Jeffrey G. Acute graft-versus-host disease after liver transplant: Novel use of etanercept and the role of tumor necrosis factor alpha inhibitors. Liver Transpl. 2009;15(4):421-426.
28. Adams LA, Knuiman MW, Divitini ML, Olynyk, JK. Body mass index is a stronger predictor of alanine aminotransaminase levels than alcohol consumption. J Gastroenterol. Hepatol. 2008;23(7 Pt 1):1089-93.
29. Tan TC, de Boer BW, Mitchell A, Delriviere L, Adams LA, Jeffrey GP, Macquillan G.Levetiracetam as a possible cause of fulminant liver failure. Neurology. 2008;71(9):685-6.
30. Mitchell A*, Adams LA*, MacQuillan G, Tibballs J, vanden Driesen R, Delriviere L. Bevacizumab reverses need for liver transplantation in hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia. Liver Transplantation. 2008 Jan 30;14(2):210-213.
a. *Both authors contributed equally to this manuscript.
31. McCashland T, Watt K, Lyden E, Adams L, Charlton M, Smith A, McQuire B, Biggins S, Alonzo M, Neff G, Burton J, Vargus H, Donovan J, Trotter J, Faust T.
- Funding received
- 2012: Curtin University, School of Biomedical Sciences Strategic Project Funding Initiative 2012. $10,000. Gene expression analysis of iron-loaded NASH patients. Graham R, Mamotte C. AI. Adams LA.
2012-14: National Health and Medical Research Council Project Grant 1022134. $481,750. Nutritional determinants of cardiometabolic risk and mental health. Oddy WH, Mori TA, Adams L, Byrne S.
2010-12: National Health and Medical Research Council Project Grant 634445.
$641,125. Risk factors for nonalcoholic fatty liver disease beyond insulin resistance: genetic, developmental and environmental influences. Adams LA, Olynyk JK, Beilin LB, Pennell C, McCaskie P, Oddy W.
2010-14: Canadian Institutes of Health Research Operating Grant 209483.
$939,441. Gene-environment interactions underlying the developmental origins of health and disease.
Lye SJ, Adams LA, Beilin LJ, Briollais L, Matthews SG, Newnham JP, Olynyk JK, Palmer LJ, Pennell CP.
2010-2011: National Heart Foundation of Australia Grant in Aid. G 09P 4265
$129,000. Chronic viral hepatitis associated vascular morbidity and mortality.
Adams LA, Watts G, Jeffrey GP, Preen D, Hung J.
2010: University of Western Australia, Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences. Small Equipment Grant. $29,810. Fibroscan XL probe. Adams LA.
2009-11: National Health and Medical Research Council Project Grant 527585.
$527,275. Liver fat and lipid transport in the metabolic syndrome.
Watts GF, Barrett HR, Chan DC, Adams LA.
2008-10: Raine Foundation/Department of Health Clinical Research Grant
$ 390,747, “Impact of iron on insulin resistance and liver histology in non-alcoholic Steatohepatitis”. Raine Medical Foundation
2008: Bristol Myers Squibb Pharmaceuticals.
$40,000. Non-invasive fibrosis assessment in chronic hepatitis B infection.
2008: Department of Health, State Health Research Advisory Committee. $10,000, New Independent Researcher Infrastructure Support Award.
2008: Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital Research Development Grant
$10,000, “Validation of Hepascore in Non-alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease”.
2008: Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry & Health Sciences Seeding Research Grant. $10,000. “WA Liver Tissue and Serum Bank.”
- 1. United States Patent and Trademark Office
Method of predicting liver fibrosis and related pathologies: 11/388,766
Inventors: G.P. Jeffrey, E. Rossi, M. Bulsara, L.A. Adams.
Submitted 24th March 2006
2. Australian Patent Office
Method of predicting liver fibrosis and related pathologies: 1310000480
Inventors: G.P. Jeffrey, E. Rossi, M. Bulsara, L.A. Adams.
Submitted 4th April 2006
- Research profile
Research profile and publications