Assoc/Prof Lisa Wood
Population Health, School of
- Contact details
- School of Population Health
The University of Western Australia (M431)
35 Stirling Highway
CRAWLEY WA 6009
- +61 8 6488 7809
- +61 8 6488 1100
- BCom PhD W.Aust., GradDipHlthProm Curtin
- I completed my PhD in 2006, with a thesis that examined the relationship between neighbourhood environments, social capital and health. I have worked in the fields of health promotion and public health for the past 23 years in research, policy development, program and campaign planning, implementation and evaluation. This has included work with academic, government and non-government organisations as well as engagement as a public health consultant in WA, nationally and internationally.
- Key research
- Underpinning all of my research is a strong interest and commitment to research that is useful and relevant to the ‘real world’. Increasingly my research is focused on the prevention of health disparities through more upstream intervention into the social determinants of poor health. Much of my research relates to the way in which our social and built environments and urbanity impact on health and wellbeing. Other areas of research relate to homelessness prevention; tobacco control; mental health; Aboriginal wellbeing; sense of community and social capital; parks and playspaces; the role of pets in facilitating social connectedness; and the inclusion of young people in the public realm.
- Within this broad range of projects are common underlying themes relating to the prevention of ill-health and health disparities, reducing barriers to health (be they social, environmental or behavioural), and bridging divides between research, policy and practice.
- Most of my research is multidisciplinary and uses both qualitative and quantitative research methods. I thrive on ‘hands on’ research and have undertaken fieldwork in diversity of settings including neighbourhoods, schools, prisons, playgrounds parks, and community centres.
- Roles, responsibilities and expertise
- As an Associate Professor within the School of Population Health, I am active across a range of research projects, as well as involved in supervision of postgraduate students and university teaching. I am an honorary research fellow with the Telethon Kids Institute, and was the founding Deputy Director of the UWA Centre for Built Environment and Health.
In 2013, I commenced as a consultant and technical advisor in tobacco control to the International Union against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease The Union . This has provided me with the opportunity to get involved in efforts to reduce the enormous preventable burden of tobacco related death and disease in Vietnam and the Philippines.
I also give a lot of time to service roles within the University and externally. This includes chairing several committees, and my role on the Board of Relationships Australia (WA) and the WA Board of the Heart Foundation.
- Funding received
- Australian Housing and Urban Research Institute(AHURI) grants, Chief Investigator - 1 to date
Healthway grants, Chief Investigator - 8 to date
Other peer reviewed grants, Chief Investigator - 2 to date
New Independant Researcher Infrastructure Support(NIRIS) Award 2012
UWA Research Development Award - 1
- Honours and awards
- Fay Gale Fellowship, 2014
Planning Institute of Australia, 2013 Awards for Planning Excellence Best Planning Idea: Big Project Award – Public Open Space “POS Tool”
Emerging Health Promotion Leader Award inaugural winner. 2012
New Independent Researcher Infrastructure Support Award, Department of Health, WA. 2012
Healthway Senior Research Fellowship: Three year fellowship 2011-2013
Research Development Award for Early Career Researchers, University of Western Australia. 2009
Early Career Academic Researchers Travel Award, University of Western Australia. 2007
Second most outstanding publication in the Humanities and Social Sciences category. Awards for Higher Degree by Research Achievements. 2006
PHAA (WA) Postgraduate Student Award for 2006
Mandurah Symposium Student Prize for best post-graduate paper, Addictions. 1994
John Storey Memorial Prize for best student in Economics and Commerce Honours, 1987
- Current external positions
- Technical Advisor for Tobacco Control, Philippines and Vietnam.
International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease (The Union).
Director, National Heart Foundation Board (WA Division)
Chair, Cardiovascular Health Committee, NHF WA Division
Mentally Healthy WA Advisory Group
Supervisor, Fourth year medical student project: Experiences of fathering among recovering drug addicts
Healthway Research Advisory Committee
Director, Relationships Australia (WA) Board
Fathering Project (UWA) - Reference Group
Co-coordinator, Post-doctoral support program, School of Population Health, The University of Western Australia
- Research profile
Research profile and publications