Assoc/Prof Michael Burton
Agricultural and Resource Economics, School of
- Contact details
- School of Agricultural and Resource Economics
The University of Western Australia (M089)
35 Stirling Highway
CRAWLEY WA 6009
- +61 8 6488 2531
- Room G021, Agriculture North West Wing, Perth campus
- BSc Bath, MA PhD Manc.
- Having been brought up on a farm in Buckinghamshire, UK, I had no real interest in agriculture as a career destination. However, a first degree in Economics from Bath University (1981), and the lure of a postgraduate scholarship took me to Manchester University for a Masters in Agricultural Economics. This provided the basis for the type of research that I have followed since: an interest in applied economics within the area of agricultural (and later natural resource) economics, with a strong emphasis on the application of quantitative techniques. A Ph.D., again at Manchester, led me to build a statistical model of the UK agricultural sector but gave the freedom to follow research interests into almost any area, in particular the analysis of food demand. I joined the academic staff in the-then Department of Agricultural Economics at Manchester in 1985, and remained there until I joined Agricultural and Resource Economics at UWA in 1998. The shift in hemispheres has led to a change in focus, but not in approach: I am currently working in the area of quantitative approaches to valuing environmental resources.
- Key research
- Agricultural policy; Bio-economic modelling; Commodity marketing; Environmental economics and policy; Natural resource economics and management; Non-market valuation; Sustainable resource management; Wildlife management
- Previous positions
- 1996-1998Senior Lecturer, School of Economic Studies, University of Manchester
1985-96Lecturer, Department of Agricultural Economics, University of Manchester.
1984-85 Research Associate, Department of Agricultural Economics, University of Manchester.
- Agricultural policy, Econometrics, Economics for natural resource management
- Useful links
- ISI researcher ID
- Current projects
- Payments for Environmental Services in Laos (supported by ACIAR)
Valuation of marine biodiversity (supported by the NERP Marine Biodiversity hub)
- Research profile
Research profile and publications