Dr Miriam Munoz-Rojas
Plant Biology, School of
- Contact details
- School of Plant Biology
The University of Western Australia (M084)
35 Stirling Highway
CRAWLEY WA 6009
- MSc Environmental Sciences, Centre of Geo-Information Science and Remote Sensing, Wageningen University (The Netherlands)
PhD Natural Resources Management, University of Seville (Spain)
- Key research
- Restoration and conservation of arid ecosystems
- Soil carbon dynamics (soil respiration and carbon sequestration)
- Global environmental change
- Ecological indicators and ecosystem functions
- Fire impacts on soils
- Selected publications:
Muñoz-Rojas M et al. (2017) Climate change impacts on soil organic carbon stocks of Mediterranean agricultural areas: a case study in Northern Egypt. Agric Ecosyst Environ 238,142–152.
Lozano-García B, Muñoz-Rojas M, et al. (2017) Climate and land use changes effects on soil organic carbon stocks in a Mediterranean semi-natural area. Sci Total Environ 579, 1249-1259.
Bateman A, Lewandrowski W, Stevens J, Muñoz-Rojas M (2016) Ecophysiological indicators to assess drought responses of arid zone native seedlings in reconstructed soils. Land Degrad Dev (in press, published on-line 29 December 2016) DOI: 10.1002/ldr.2660.
Turner S, Erickson T, Muñoz-Rojas M, Merritt D (2016) The Restoration Seed Bank Initiative – a focus on biodiverse restoration at the landscape scale. Australasian Plant Conservation 25, 1, 22-24.
M Anaya-Romero, M Muñoz-Rojas, Beatriz Ibáñez, Teodoro Marañón (2016) Evaluation of forest ecosystem services in Mediterranean areas. A regional case study in South Spain. Ecosystem Services DOI:10.1016/j.ecoser.2016.07.002
M Muñoz-Rojas, T Erickson, D Martini, K Dixon and D Merritt (2016) Climate and soil factors influencing seedling recruitment of plant species used for dryland restoration. SOIL, 2, 1-11.DOI:10.5194/soil-2016-25
N Alanís, VM Hernández-Madrigal, A Cerdà, M Muñoz-Rojas, LM Zavala, A Jordan (2016) Spatial gradients of intensity and persistence of soil water repellency under different forest types in Central Mexico. Land Degradation and Development. DOI:10.1002/ldr.2544
M Muñoz-Rojas, T Erickson, K Dixon, D Merritt(2016). Soil quality indicators to assess functionality of restored soils in degraded semi-arid ecosystems. Restoration Ecology. DOI: 10.1111/rec.12368
M Muñoz-Rojas, W Lewandrowski, T Erickson, K Dixon, D Merritt (2016). Soil respiration dynamics in fire affected semi-arid ecosystems: effects of vegetation type and environmental factors. Science of the Total Environment. DOI:10.1016/j.scitotenv.2016.02.086
BA Willaarts, C Oyonarte, M Muñoz-Rojas, JJ Ibáñez, PA Aguilera (2016) Environmental factors controlling soil organic carbon stocks in two contrasting Mediterranean-climate areas. Land degradation and Development,27, 603–611.DOI: 10.1002/ldr.2417
M Muñoz-Rojas, TE Erickson, D Martini, KW Dixon, DJ Merritt (2016). Soil physicochemical and microbiological indicators of short, medium and long term post-fire recovery in semi-arid ecosystems. Ecological indicators 63, 14-22.
M Muñoz-Rojas, A Jordán, L M Zavala, D de la Rosa, SK Abd-Elmabod and M Anaya-Romero (2015) Impact of land use and land cover changes on organic carbon stocks in Mediterranean soils (1956-2007). Land Degradation and Development, 26, 168-179.
M Muñoz-Rojas, L Doro, L Ledda, R Francaviglia (2015) Application of CarboSOIL model to predict the effects of climate change on soil organic carbon stocks in agro-silvo-pastoral Mediterranean management. Agriculture, ecosystems and environment, 202, 8-16.
M Anaya-Romero, S Kotb Abd-Elmabod, M Muñoz-Rojas, G Castellano, CJ Ceacero, S Alvarez, M Méndez and D De la Rosa (2015) Soil threats under climate change scenarios in the Andalusia region, Southern Spain. Land Degradation and Development, 26,441-449.DOI: 10.1002/ldr.2363
A Jordán, L M Zavala, M Muñoz-Rojas (2014) Mulching, effects on soil physical properties In: Encyclopedia of Agrophysics Edited by:Jan Gliński, Józef Horabik, Jerzy Lipiec. Berlin: Springer ISBN:978-90-481-3585-1, pages:492-496. 10.1007/978-90-481-3585-1_275
M Muñoz-Rojas, A Jordán, LM Zavala, D de la Rosa, M Anaya-Romero (2013) Modelling soil organic C stocks in climate change scenarios: a CarboSOIL model application. Biogeosciences,10,8253–8268.
T Marañón, B Ibáñez, M Anaya-Romero, M. Muñoz-Rojas & IM Pérez-Ramos (2012) Oak trees and woodlands providing ecosystem services in Southern Spain. In: ID Rotherham, C Handley, M Agnoletti & T Samojlik (eds.). Trees beyond the Wood. An exploration of concepts of woods, forests and trees. Pp. 369-378. Wildtrack Publishing, Sheffield, UK. ISBN 978-1-904098-40-9.
M Muñoz-Rojas, A Jordán, L M Zavala, D de la Rosa, SK Abd-Elmabod and M Anaya-Romero (2012) Organic carbon stocks in Mediterranean soil types under different land uses (Southern Spain). Solid Earth, 4, 375-386.
SK Abd-Elmabod, RR Ali, M Anaya-Romero , A Jordan, M Muñoz-Rojas, TA Abdelmageed, LM Zavala, D de la Rosa (2012) Evaluating Soil Degradation under Different Scenarios of Agricultural Land Management in Mediterranean Region. Nature and Science 10(10),103-116.
M Muñoz-Rojas, D de la Rosa, L M Zavala, A Jordán, M Anaya-Romero (2011) Changes in land cover and vegetation carbon stocks in Andalusia, Southern Spain (1956-2007). Science of the Total Environment, 409, 2796-2806.
M Anaya-Romero, R Pino, JM Moreira, M Muñoz-Rojas, D De la Rosa (2011) Analysis of soil capability versus land-use change by using CORINE Land Cover and MicroLEIS in Southern Spain. International Agrophysics, 25, 395-398.
AJP Granged, LM Zavala, A Jordán, M Muñoz-Rojas, J Mataix-Solera (2011) Short-term effects of experimental fire for a soil under eucalyptus forest (SE Australia) Geoderma, 167-168, 125-134.
Full publication list: http://scholar.google.com/citations?user=TIJGBHEAAAAJ&hl=en
- Roles, responsibilities and expertise
- Currently, I lead one of the four programs of a large scale project, The Restoration Seedbank Initiative, a major multi-disciplinary partnership with The University of Western Australia (UWA), BHP Billiton Iron Ore, and Kings Park and Botanic Garden in Perth, Australia. This project is focussed on developing the science, knowledge, and technical skills to landscape restoration of biodiverse degraded ecosystems. Through my research program I use an integrative approach to understand the functioning of natural and restored ecosystems, with a special focus on the plant-soil system. Specifically, I combine geo-data acquisition, ecophysiological measurements and analytical techniques with experimental and modelling approaches to explore the functioning of natural and disturbed ecosystems in global change scenarios. With these studies I aim to disentangle the mechanisms behind above- and below-ground ecosystems and how these are interconnected. My research in this area includes the analysis and assessment of ecological indicators related to terrestrial ecosystem processes, in particular those associated to soil functionality, such as biological productivity, nutrient cycling, or physical stability and support for plant growth.
- English, Spanish, French, Croatian.
- Australian Soil Science Society. Committee member of the WA branch.
Society for Ecological Restoration.
European Geosciences Union. Division on Soil System Sciences. Subdivision on Soil, Environment and Ecosystem Interactions.
Fuegored (Fire Network Association)
MED_Soil Research Group.
IEDRO (International Environmental Data Rescue Organization)
Global Soil Biodiversity Initiative
- Honours and awards
- Outstanding Student Poster Award, European Geosciences Union General Assembly, Viena, Austria (2012)
Young Scientist's Travel Award for Europeans, European Geosciences Union General Assembly, Viena, Austria (2012)
- Previous positions
- July 2013- November 2013
Lecturer (Plant Physiology; Climate Change and Adaptations) at the Department of Environment and Agriculture, Curtin University, Western Australia
January 2013-July 2013
Postdoctoral Researcher at MED_Soil Research Group. University of Seville, Spain
May 2010-January 2013
Scientific Project Manager at ICT for Land Evaluation Evenor-Tech, CSIC Spin-Off. Institute for Natural Resources and Agrobiology, Seville, Spain
November 2005- September 2009
Consultant on Rural Development and Sustainabilityat the Agriculture Department. Andalusian Regional Government (Junta de Andalucía), Almería, Spain
May 2004-December 2004
Technical Expert and Consultant at the Quality and Environmental Management Department of Construcciones Temir, S.L, Almería, Spain
September 2003-April 2004
Research Scientist and GIS Technician at the Department of Soil Sciences, University of Almería, Spain
- Software CarboSOIL: Sistema para evaluar la capacidad de secuestro de carbono de los suelos mediterráneos (in Spanish; translation: CarboSOIL: System for soil carbon sequestration assessment of Mediterranean soils. Registration No. 201299901463385 (12/12).
- Casual lecturer at Curtin University, Department of Environment and Agriculture.
Climate Change and Adaptations 102
Animal and Plant Physiology 202
Environmental restoration 301
- Current external positions
- Adjunct Lecturer (since March 2017)
University of New South Wales
Editor Solid Earth (since June 2016)
European Geosciences Union; Soil System Division; Subdivision Soil Pollution and Reclamation.
Soil Science Australia (Western Australia Branch)
- Useful links
- Current projects
- M Muñoz-Rojas, A Sole-Benet, C Oyonarte.: Connecting above and belowground processes to restore functionality of arid lands: a comparison between Northern and Southern hemisphere ecosystems. UWA Research Collaboration Award, 2016.
M Muñoz-Rojas, A Jordan, JA Gonzalez-Perez.: Soil water repellence in biodiverse semi arid environments: new insights and implications for ecological restoration. UWA Research Collaboration Award, 2015.
K Dixon, D Merritt, T Erickson, M Muñoz-Rojas, S Turner. Restoration Seedbank Initaive. Partnership between The University of Western Australia, BHP Billiton Iron Ore, and Kings Park and Botanic Garden, 2013-2018.
R Oliver, F Lopez-Ruiz, M Muñoz-Rojas: Fungicide resistance management strategy and communications. Grain Research and Development Corporation, 2013 – 2017.
M Anaya Romero, M Muñoz-Rojas, D De la Rosa. Vulnerability Assessment: Climate change effects on soils (2012), Andalusia Government. Environmental Agency.
M Anaya Romero, M Muñoz-Rojas, D De la Rosa. Development of a decision tool for assessment of carbon sequestration capacity (2010-2012). Andalusia Government, IDEA Agency.
- Research profile
Research profile and publications