Professor Paul Norman
Professor (Vascular Surgery)
Fiona Stanley Hospital (Surgery)
- Contact details
- Surgery (Fiona Stanley Hospital)
The University of Western Australia (M509)
35 Stirling Highway
CRAWLEY WA 6009
- + 61 8 6151 1147
- +61 6151 1199
- BSc MB ChB Sheff., DS W.Aust., FRCS, FRACS
- Paul Norman is a vascular surgeon and Winthrop Professor of Vascular Surgery at the University of Western Australia. His research interests include all aspects of abdominal aortic aneurysm, the epidemiology and management of peripheral arterial disease, the pathogenesis of diabetic arterial disease and the assessment of cardiovascular risk.
- Selected Publications since 2007
1.Norman PE, Powell JT. Abdominal aortic aneurysm: the prognosis in women is worse than in men. Circulation 2007;115:2865-69.
2.Golledge J, Clancy P, Jamrozik K, Norman PE. Obesity, adipokines and abdominal aortic aneurysm. Health In Men Study. Circulation 2007;116:2275-79.
3.Golledge J, Karan M, Moran C, Muller J, Clancy P, Dear A, Norman PE. Reduced expansion rate of abdominal aortic aneurysms in patients with diabetes may be related to aberrant monocyte-matrix interactions. Eur Heart J. 2008;29:665-72.
4.Jones GT, Thompson AR, van Bockxmeer FM, Hafez H, Cooper J, Golledge J, Humphries SE, Norman PE, van Rij AM. The Angiotensin II type 1 receptor 1166C polymorphism is associated with abdominal aortic aneurysm in three independent cohorts. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 2008;28:764-70.
5.Ankle Brachial Index Collaboration. Ankle brachial index combined with Framingham risk score in prediction of cardiovascular events and mortality in 16 international cohort studies. JAMA 2008;300:197-208.
6.Smallwood L, Allcock R, van Bockxmeer F, Warrington N, Palmer LJ, Iacopetta B, Golledge J, Norman PE. Polymorphisms of the MMP-9 gene and abdominal aortic aneurysm. Br J Surg 2008;95:1239-44.
7.Golledge J, Tsao PS, Dalman RL, Norman PE. Circulating markers of abdominal aortic aneurysm presence and progression. Circulation 2008;118:2382-92.
8.Powell JT, Norman PE. Abdominal aortic aneurysm events in postmenopausal women. (Editorial). BMJ 2008;337:1010.
9.Norman PE, Flicker L, Almeida OP, Hankey GJ, Hyde Z, Jamrozik K. Cohort Profile: The Health In Men Study (HIMS). Int J Epidemiol 2009;38:48-52.
10.Golledge J, Clancy P, Jones GT, Cooper M, Palmer LJ, van Rij AM, Norman PE. Assessment of the association between genetic polymorphisms in transforming growth factor beta receptors, serum transforming growth factor beta-1 concentration and abdominal aortic aneurysm. Br J Surg 2009;96:628-32.
11.Norman PE, Davis WA, Coughlan MT, Forbes JM, Golledge J, Davis TME. Serum carboxymethyllysine concentrations are reduced in diabetic men with abdominal aortic aneurysms: Health In Men Study. J Vasc Surg 2009;50:626-31.
12.Yeap BB, Chubb SAP, Hyde Z, Jamrozik K, Hankey GJ, Flicker L, Norman PE. Lower serum testosterone is independently associated with insulin resistance in non-diabetic older men. The Health In Men Study. Eur J Endocrinol 2009; 161: 591-598.
13.Golledge J, Biros E, Clancy P, Cooper M, Palmer LJ, Norman PE. A Single-Nucleotide polymorphism in the gene encoding osteoprotegerin is associated with diastolic blood pressure in older men. Am J Hypertension 2009;22:1167-70.
14.Norman PE, Powell JT. Site specificity of aneurysmal disease. Circulation 2010;121:560-8.
15.Golledge J, Biros E, Cooper M, Warrington N, Palmer LJ, Norman PE. Apolipoprotein E genotype is associated with serum C-reactive protein but not abdominal aortic aneurysm. Atherosclerosis 2010;209:487-91.
16.Yeap BB, Hyde Z, Norman PE, Chubb SAP, Golledge J. Associations of total testosterone, sex hormone-binding globulin, calculated free testosterone, and luteinising hormone with prevalence of abdominal aortic aneurysm in elderly men. J Clin Endocrinol Metabol 2010;95:1123-30.
17.Golledge J, Clancy P, Moran C, Biros E, Walker P, Norman PE. The novel association of the chemokine CCL22 with abdominal aortic aneurysm. Am J Path 2010;176:2098-2106.
18.Norman PE, Schoen DE, Gurr JM, Kolybaba ML. High rates of amputation amongst Indigenous people in Western Australia. (Research Letter) MJA 2010;192:421.
19.Lakshmanan R, Hyde Z, Jamrozik K, Hankey GJ, Norman PE. Population based observational study of claudication in older men. The Health In Men Study. Med J Aust 2010;192:641-5.
20.Golledge J, van Bockxmeer F, McCann M, Norman PE. Association between serum lipoproteins and abdominal aortic aneurysm. Am J Cardiol 2010;105:1480-5.
21.Yeap BB, Chubb SAP, Ebeling PR, McCaul KA, Beilby JP, Flicker L, Norman PE. Reduced serum total osteocalcin is associated with metabolic syndrome in older men via waist circumference, hyperglycemia and triglyceride levels. Eur J Endocrinol 2010;163:265-72.
22.Norman PE, Spilsbury K, Semmens JB. Falling rates of hospitalisation and mortality from abdominal aortic aneurysms in Australia. J Vasc Surg 2011;53:274-7.
23.Golledge J, Muller R, Clancy P, McCann M, Norman PE. Evaluation of the diagnostic and prognostic value of plasma D-dimer for abdominal aortic aneurysm. Eur Heart J 2011;32:354-64.
24.Lindholt JS, Norman PE. Screening for abdominal aortic aneurysm reduces operative mortality in men undergoing planned repair. A meta-analysis of five randomised trials. Br J Surg 2011;98:619-22.
- Roles, responsibilities and expertise
- BSc MB ChB Sheff., DS W.Aust., FRCS, FRACS.
- Funding received
- W/Prof Norman has had continual National Health and Medical Research Council funding since 1996. Since 2004 he has, with various collaborators, attracted more than $10 million in research funding from competitive sources, including nine NHMRC grants and, in 2005, a National Institutes of Health research project grant, R01.
- Member, Section of Vascular Surgery, Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
- Surgical Research Society of Australasia
- Honours and awards
- NHMRC Practitioner Fellowship 2007–11
- Clinical aspects of vascular disease and surgery in general to medical students
- Current external positions
- Director of the WA Metropolitan Vascular Surgery Services
- Member of the WA Cardiovascular Health Network
- Member of the Board in Academic Surgery (Royal Australasian College of Surgeons)
- NHMRC Academy 2010-1
- Member of the WHO Global Burden of Disease working party for Peripheral Vascular Disease
- FOR 110201, SEO 920103
- Research profile
Research profile and publications