W/Prof Paul V. Abbott AO
Winthrop Professor of Clinical Dentistry/Discipline Lead, Endodontics
Academic Staff (Dentistry/Oral Health Centre of Western Australia)
- Contact details
- Academic Staff (Dentistry/Oral Health Centre of Western Australia)
The University of Western Australia (M512)
35 Stirling Highway
CRAWLEY WA 6009
- +61 8 6457 7665
- BDSc W.Aust., MDS Adel., FRACDS(Endo), FPFA, FADI, FICD, FACD
- Prof. Paul Abbott AO is the Winthrop Professor of Clinical Dentistry at The University of Western Australia. He is a Specialist Endodontist and works in private practice on a part-time basis. Prior to taking a full-time University position in 2002, he spent 17 years in private specialist practice in Perth and Melbourne. He was Head of the UWA School of Dentistry and Director of the Oral Health Centre of WA from 2003-2009. He has lectured extensively in 42 countries, has published 138 articles in refereed journals and 20 textbook chapters. He has been appointed as the Editor-in-Chief of the journal Dental Traumatology from August 2015. He also serves on Editorial Boards and Scientific Review Panels of 17 international journals. In 2004, he was awarded the University of Western Australia’s Excellence in Teaching Award for Individual Teaching, and in 2015 the University awarded him the Excellence in Teaching Award for Postgraduate Coursework Teaching. In 2016,he received an Excellence in Teaching Award for large group teaching. He has also been awarded by the UWA Student Guild for his teaching and recently received a Commendation for Lifetime Achievement - WA Clinical Training Network Team. In June 2015, he was appointed as an Officer of the Order of Australia in recognition of his services to clinical dentistry, teaching, research and professional societies.
- 23 chapters in text books and 142 peer reviewed papers including:
1.Bryson E, Levin L, Banchs F, Abbott P, Trope M. Effect of immediate intracanal placement of Ledermix paste on healing of replanted dog teeth after extended dry times.Dent Traumatol 2002; 18: 316-21.
2.Abbott PV. Assessing restored teeth with pulp and periapical diseases for the presence of cracks, caries and marginal breakdown.Aust Dent J 2004; 49: 33-9.
3.Abbott PV. Classification, Diagnosis and Clinical Manifestations of Apical Periodontitis. Endod Topics 2004; 8: 36-54.
4.Kabak Y, Abbott PV. Prevalence of apical periodontitis and the quality of endodontic treatment in an adult Belarusian population.Int Endo J 2005; 38: 238-45.
5.Hargreaves K, Abbott PV.Drugs for Pain Management in Dentistry.Aust Dent J 2005; 50 (Suppl 2): S14-S22.
6.Caicedo R, Abbott PV, Alongi DJ, Alarcon MY. Clinical, radiographic and histological analysis of the effects of MTA used in direct pulp capping and pulpotomies of primary teeth.Aust Dent J 2006; 51: 297-305.
7.Yu C, Abbott PV.An overview of the dental pulp: Its functions and responses to injury. Aust Dent J 2007; 52 (Suppl 1): S4-S16.
8.Abbott PV, Yu C. A clinical classification of the status of the pulp and the root canal system. Aust Dent J 2007; 52 (Suppl 1): S17-S31.
9.Athanassiadis B, Abbott PV, Walsh LJ.The use of calcium hydroxide, antibiotics and biocides as antimicrobial medicaments in endodontics.Aust Dent J 2007; 52 (Suppl 1): S64-S82.
10.Jensen AL, Abbott PV.Experimental model: Dye penetration of extensive interim restorations used during endodontic treatment while under load in a multiple axis chewing simulator. J Endod 2007; 33: 1243-1246.
11.Karami B, Khayat A, Moazami F, Pardis S, Abbott PV. Histological evaluation of the effect of three medicaments; trichloracetic acid, formocresol and mineral trioxide aggregate on pulpotomized teeth of dogs. Aust Endod J 2009; 35: 18-28.
12.Lam R, Abbott PV, Lloyd C, Lloyd CA, Kruger E, Tennant M. Dental trauma in an Australian Rural Centre. Dent Traumatol 2008; 24: 663-670.
- Australian Dental Association; Australian Society of Endodontology; Australian and New Zealand Academy of Endodontists; International Federation of Endodontic Associations; Asian Pacific Endodontic Confederation; American Association of Endodontists; New Zealand Society of Endodontics; International Association for Dental Research; Royal Australasian College of Dental Surgeons; Pierre Fauchard Academy; Academy of Dentistry International; International College of Dentists; American College of Dentists; International Association of Dental Traumatology; Dental Study Group of WA; Sociedad de Endodoncia de Bogotá
- Honours and awards
- Officer of the Order of Australia; Commendation Award for Lifetime Achievement in Clinical Supervision from the WA Clinical Training Network; Honorary Life Membership of the Asian Pacific Endodontic Confederation; Service Medallion from the Australian Dental Association Inc.; Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Dental Surgeons; Fellow of the Pierre Fauchard Academy; Fellow of the Academy of Dentistry International; Fellow of the International College of Dentists; Fellow of the American College of Dentists; Foundation Fellow of the International Association of Dental Traumatology; Honorary Membership of the Sociedad de Endodoncia de Bogotá; Honorary Membership of the New Zealand Endodontic Society; UWA Excellence in Teaching Award for Individual Teaching; UWA-FMDHS Excellence in Teaching Award for Postgraduate Coursework Teaching; UWA Student Guild’s Student Choice Award for Teaching; UWA-FMDHS Excellence in Teaching Award for Large Group Teaching;
- Previous positions
- Head, School of Dentistry UWA; Director, Oral Health Centre of WA; Director of Postgraduate Studies and Research School of Dentistry UWA; Professorial Fellow, UWA; Senior Lecturer in Endodontics, UWA; Senior Lecturer in Endodontics University of Melbourne; Senior Fellow, University of Melbourne.
- Undergraduate and postgraduate Endodontics.
Various other topics in dentistry - especially pain control; use of antibiotics, diagnosis, pulp testing, treatment planning.
- Current external positions
- Practitioner Member, Dental Board of Australia
- Research profile
Research profile and publications