Dr Peter Metaxas
Academic Staff (Physics and Astrophysics)
- Contact details
- Academic Staff (Physics and Astrophysics)
The University of Western Australia (M050)
35 Stirling Highway
CRAWLEY WA 6009
- +61 8 6488 7015
- +61 8 6488 7364
- BSc W.Aust., PhD W.Aust. & Paris-Sud 11
- BSc (1st class Hons.), UWA
PhD (joint-badged), UWA/Universite Paris-Sud 11
Post-doc research: Unite Mixte de Physique CNRS/Thales (France); Georgia Tech (USA)
My background is primarily in nano-scale magnetism and spintronics. I have spent the last few years within UWA's School of Physics and Astrophysics, leading experimental and computational research on magnetic nano-particle detection for downstream applications in bio-sensing, work that was funded by an Australian Research Council DECRA and the USA Air Force. I am currently working in UWA's Fluid Science & Resources group where I am investigating probabilistic gas hydrate formation.
- Key research
- Magnetisation dynamics
- Domain wall dynamics
- Magnetic nanostructures
- External publication lists can be found at:
(25) A.C.H. Hurst, J.A. Izaac, F. Altaf, V. Baltz, P.J. Metaxas, "Reconfigurable magnetic domain wall pinning using vortex-generated magnetic fields", to appear in Applied Physics Letters, pre-print at https://arxiv.org/abs/1702.02536 (2017).
(24) J.P. Fried and P.J. Metaxas, "Nanoparticle-modified magnetic vortex dynamics", to appear in IEEE Magnetics Letters (2017).
(23) J.P. Fried, H. Fangohr, M. Kostylev, P.J. Metaxas, "Exchange-mediated, non-linear, out-of-plane magnetic field dependence of the ferromagnetic vortex gyrotropic mode frequency driven by core deformation", Physical Review B, 94, 224407.
(22) M. Albert, M. Beg, D. Chernyshenko, M.-A. Bisotti, R.L. Carey, H. Fangohr, P.J. Metaxas, "Frequency-based nanoparticle sensing over large field ranges using the ferromagnetic resonances of a magnetic nanodisc", Nanotechnology, 27, 455502 (2016).
(21) M. Sushruth, J. Ding, J. Duczynski, R.C. Woodward, R.A. Begley, H. Fangohr, R.O. Fuller, A.O. Adeyeye, M. Kostylev, P.J. Metaxas, "Resonance-based Detection of Magnetic Nanoparticles and Microbeads Using Nanopatterned Ferromagnets", Physical Review Applied, 6, 044005 (2016).
(20) M. Sushruth, J.P. Fried, A. Anane, S. Xavier, C. Deranlot, M. Kostylev, V. Cros, P.J. Metaxas, "Electrical measurement of magnetic-field-impeded polarity switching of a ferromagnetic vortex core", Physical Review B Rapid Communications, 94, 100402(R) (2016).
(19) C. Lueng, P. Lupo, P.J. Metaxas, M. Kostylev and A.O. Adeyeye, "Nanopatterning-Enhanced Sensitivity and Response Time of Dynamic Palladium/Cobalt/Palladium Hydrogen Gas Sensors", Adv. Mat. Technol., 2016, 1600097 (2016).
(18) J.P. Fried and P.J. Metaxas, "Localized magnetic fields enhance the field-sensitivity of the gyrotropic resonance frequency of a magnetic vortex", Phys. Rev. B, 93, 064422 (2016).
(17) P.J. Metaxas, M. Albert, S. Lequeux, V. Cros, J. Grollier, P. Bortolotti, A. Anane and H. Fangohr, "Resonant translational, breathing and twisting modes of pinned transverse magnetic domain walls", Phys. Rev. B, 93, 054414 (2016).
(16) P.J. Metaxas, M. Sushruth, R.A. Begley, J. Ding, R.C. Woodward, I.S. Maksymov, M. Albert, W. Wang, H. Fangohr, A.O. Adeyeye and M. Kostylev, "Sensing magnetic nanoparticles using nano-confined ferromagnetic resonances in a magnonic crystal", Appl. Phys. Lett., 106, 232406 (2015).
(15) R.L. Novak, P.J. Metaxas, J.P. Jamet, R. Weil, J. Ferre, A. Mougin, S. Rohart, R.L. Stamps, P.J. Zermatten, G. Gaudin, V. Baltz, B. Rodmacq, "Highly asymmetric magnetic domain wall propagation due to coupling to a periodic pinning potential", J. Phys. D.: Appl. Phys., 48, 235004 (2015).
(14) R.K. Nachimuthu, R.D. Jeffery, M. Martyniuk, R.C. Woodward, P.J. Metaxas, J.M. Dell and L. Faraone, "Investigation of cerium substituted europium iron garnets deposited by Biased Target Ion Beam Deposition", IEEE Trans. Mag., 50, 2201807 (2014).
(13) J. Sampaio, S. Lequeux, P.J. Metaxas, A. Chanthbouala, R. Matsumoto, K. Yakushiji, H. Kubota, A. Fukushima, S. Yuasa, K. Nishimura, Y. Nagamine, H. Maehara, K. Tsunekawa, V. Cros and J. Grollier, "Time-resolved observation of fast domain-walls driven by vertical spin currents in short tracks", Appl. Phys. Lett., 103, 242415 (2013).
(12) J. Ferré, P.J. Metaxas, A. Mougin, J.-P. Jamet, J. Gorchon and V. Jeudy, "Universal magnetic domain wall dynamics in the presence of weak disorder", C.R. Physique, 14, 651 (2013) [invited review].
(11) P.J. Metaxas, J. Sampaio, A. Chanthbouala, R. Matsumoto, A. Anane, A. Fert, K.A. Zvezdin, K. Yakushiji, H. Kubota, A. Fukushima, S. Yuasa, K. Nishimura, Y. Nagamine, H. Maehara, K. Tsunekawa, V. Cros and J. Grollier, "High domain wall velocities via spin transfer torque using vertical current injection", Sci. Rep., 3, 1829 (2013).
(10) P.J. Metaxas, P.J. Zermatten, R.L. Novak, S. Rohart, J.P. Jamet, R. Weil, J. Ferre, A. Mougin, R.L. Stamps, G. Gaudin, V. Baltz and B. Rodmacq, "Spatially periodic domain wall pinning potentials: asymmetric pinning and dipolar biasing", J. Appl. Phys., 113, 073906 (2013).
(9) P.J. Metaxas, R.L. Stamps, J.P. Jamet, J. Ferre, V. Baltz and B. Rodmacq, "Expansion and relaxation of magnetic mirror domains in a Pt/Co/Pt/Co/Pt multilayer with antiferromagnetic interlayer coupling", J. Phys.: Condens. Matter, 24, 024212 (2012) [invited article].
(8) C. Visani, P.J. Metaxas, A. Collaudin, B. Calvet, R. Bernard, J. Briatico, C. Deranlot, K. Bouzehouane and J.E. Villegas, "Hysteretic magnetic pinning and reversible resistance switching in high-temperature superconductor/ferromagnet multilayers", Phys. Rev. B, 84, 054539 (2011).
(7) P. Politi, P.J. Metaxas, J.P. Jamet, R.L. Stamps and J. Ferre, "Model of bound interface dynamics for coupled magnetic domain walls", Phys. Rev. B, 84, 054431 (2011).
(6) P.J. Metaxas, A. Anane, V. Cros, J. Grollier, C. Deranlot, Y. Lemaitre, S. Xavier, C. Ulysse, G. Faini, F. Petroff and A. Fert, "Current-induced resonant depinning of a transverse magnetic domain wall in a spin valve nanostrip", Appl. Phys. Lett., 97, 182506 (2010).
(5) P.J. Metaxas, R.L. Stamps, J.P. Jamet, J. Ferré, V. Baltz, B. Rodmacq and P. Politi, "Dynamic Binding of Driven Interfaces in Coupled Ultrathin Ferromagnetic Layers", Phys. Rev. Lett., 104, 237206 (2010).
(4) P.J. Metaxas, P.J. Zermatten, J.P. Jamet, J. Ferré, G. Gaudin, B. Rodmacq, A. Schuhl and R.L. Stamps, "Periodic magnetic domain wall pinning in an ultrathin film with perpendicular anisotropy generated by the stray magnetic field of a ferromagnetic nanodot array", Appl. Phys. Lett., 94, 132504 (2009).
(3) P.J. Metaxas, J.P. Jamet, J. Ferré, B. Rodmacq, B. Dieny and R.L. Stamps, "Magnetic domain wall creep in the presence of an effective interlayer coupling field", J. Magn. Magn. Mater., 320, 2571 (2008).
(2) P.J. Metaxas, J.P. Jamet, A. Mougin, M. Cormier, J. Ferré, V. Baltz, B. Rodmacq, B. Dieny, and R. L. Stamps, "Creep and flow regimes of magnetic domain-wall motion in ultrathin Pt/Co/Pt films with perpendicular anisotropy", Phys. Rev. Lett., 99, 217208 (2007).
(1) A. Mougin, M. Cormier, J.P. Adam, P.J. Metaxas and J. Ferré, "Domain wall mobility, stability and Walker breakdown in magnetic nanowires", Europhys. Lett., 78, 57007 (2007).
Invited book chapters:
(2) J. Sampaio, J. Grollier and P.J. Metaxas, "Domain Wall Motion in Nanostructures", Magnetism of Surfaces, Interfaces, and Nanoscale Materials (1st Edition), Elsevier (2015).
(1) P.J. Metaxas, "Creep and Flow Dynamics of Magnetic Domain Walls: Weak Disorder, Wall Binding, and Periodic Pinning", Solid State Physics (Volume 62), Academic Press (2011).
Peer-reviewed conference proceedings:
(2) C. Lueng, P.J. Metaxas and M. Kostylev, "Sensitivity Enhancement of Pd/Co Bi-layer Film for Hydrogen Gas Sensing using Perpendicular-to-Plane Ferromagnetic Resonance Configuration", http://arxiv.org/abs/1601.03500, to appear in IEEE Transactions on Magnetics (2016).
(1) C. Lueng, P.J. Metaxas and M. Kostylev, "Pd/Co bi-layer films for microwave-frequency hydrogen gas sensing applications", 2014 Conference on Optoelectronic and Microelectronic Materials & Devices (COMMAD), (2014).
- Funding received
- 'Nano-scale devices for frequency-based magnetic biosensing', Asian Office of Aerospace Research and Development (2015)
ECR Fellowship Support Grant (2014)
'Magnonic Nanostructures for Bio-label Detection' UWA Research Collaboration Award (2014)
'Modelling superparamagnetic particles for biomedical applications', UWA Research Collaboration Award (2013)
'Magnetic Biosensing: Developing High Frequency Spintronic Sensors for Magnetic Label Detection', ARC Discovery Early Career Researcher Award (2012-2014)
'Nano-scale Traps for Magnetic Domain Walls' UWA Research Development Award Scheme (2012-2013)
- English and French
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE, Senior Member)
- Honours and awards
- 2016 Elevation to Senior Member of the IEEE
2015 UWA Vice-Chancellor’s Early Career Investigators Award
2015 UWA Faculty of Science Rising Star Award (3rd place)
2011 Australian Nanotechnology Network Overseas Travel Fellowship
2011 Australian Research Council Discovery Early Career Researcher Award
2011 American Australian Association Pratt Fellowship
2009 UWA Whitfield Fellowship
2005 Marie Curie Early Stage Research Training Fellowship
- Previous positions
- Visiting Scientist, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, USA (2012)
Research scientist, Unité Mixte de Physique CNRS/Thales, Palaiseau, France (2011)
Post-doctoral researcher, Unité Mixte de Physique CNRS/Thales, Palaiseau, France (2009-2010)
Whitfield Fellow, University of Western Australia (2009)
- Previous teaching:
-PHYS3012 Frontiers in Modern Physics
-Magnetic and Ferroic Materials (part of the "Advanced Topics in Solid State Physics" module)
- Research profile
Research profile and publications