- UWA Home
- The University of Western Australia
- Staff profiles
Professor Robyn Carroll
- Contact details
- Law School
The University of Western Australia (M253)
35 Stirling Highway
CRAWLEY WA 6009
- +61 8 6488 2965
- +61 8 6488 1045
- LLB BJuris W.Aust., BCL Oxf.
- Robyn teaches and researches in the private law and dispute resolution subjects Contract Law, Family Law, Civil Remedies and Mediation. Her most recent contribution to Family Law scholarship is as co-author of Young et al Family Law in Australia (LexisNexis 9th Edition, 2016, forthcoming). Robyn is currently writing a book for Hart Publishing with co-author Professor Prue Vines (UNSW) on The Role of Apologies in the Law. Robyn has published many articles and book chapters on contract law remedies, the role of apologies in the resolution of legal disputes and mediation and presented her work at judicial, practitioner and academic workshops and conferences. Inquiries from potential higher degree students are welcome on these and related topics. Robyn is also an accredited mediator and a senior sessional member of the Western Australian State Administrative Tribunal with expertise in guardianship and administration and equal opportunity matters.
- Key research
- Contract Law, Civil Remedies, Apologies, Family Law, Dispute Resolution and Mediation, Elder Law.
- Selected publications:
Berryman and Carroll. “Coercive Relief – Reflections on Supervision and Enforcement Constraints” (2014) UWAL Review 123.
'When “Sorry” is the Hardest Word to Say, How Might Apology Legislation Assist?' (2014) 44(2) Hong Kong Law Journal 491.
'Apologies as a Legal Remedy’ (2013) 35 Sydney Law Review 317.
‘Agreements to Specifically Perform Contractual Agreements’ (2012) 29 Journal of Contract Law 155.
Carroll and Smith, ‘Mediation in Guardianship Proceedings for the Elderly: An Australian Perspective,’ (2010) Windsor Yearbook of Access to Justice 53.
Carroll and Witzleb, ‘It’s Not Just About The Money – Enhancing the Vindicatory Effect of Private Law Remedies’, (2011) 37 MonULR 216.
Witzleb and Carroll, ‘The Role of Vindication in Torts Damages’ (2009) 17 Tort Law Review 16 - 44.
'Beyond Compensation: Apology as a Private Law Remedy' in Berryman and Bigwood (eds) The Law of Remedies: New Directions in the Common Law, (Toronto: Irwin Law, 2010).
‘You can’t order sorriness, so is there any value in an ordered apology? An analysis of apology orders in anti-discrimination cases’, (2010) 32 UNSWLJ 360.
'Appointing Decision Makers for Incapable Persons – What Scope for Mediation’ (2007) 17 Journal of Judicial Administration 75-92.
R Carroll, (ed) Civil Remedies: Issues and Developments. The Centre for Commercial and Resources Law and the Federation Press, (1996).
- Roles, responsibilities and expertise
- Elected Member of UWA Academic Board and Academic Council, Elected Member of UWA Scholarships Committee, Co-founder International Network for Law and Apology Research (INLAR), Accredited Mediator (Resolution Institute - previously LEADR-IAMA),
- Future research
- Private Law Remedies; Apologies; Law and Mediation; Elder Mediation; Guardianship and Administration; Family Law and Adults with Decision Making Disabilities.
- Funding received
- Hong Kong Ministry of Justice Research Contract – Legal Issues relating to the Introduction of Apology Legislation in Hong Kong
UWA Law School General Research Funds to establish the International Network for Research on Apology and Law (INLAR)
Institute of Advanced Studies (UWA) Grant for Elder Law Forum, UWA, February 2013. “Health Wealth and Hearth: Law, Policy and Social Perspectives on an Ageing Australia” Meredith Blake, Robyn Carroll, Eileen Webb.
- Industrial relevance
- Non-pecuniary remedies and dispute resolution of private law disputes and complaints;
Family dispute resolution.
- Resolution Institute
Graduate Women (WA) Association
- Honours and awards
- 1984-1985 Postgraduate Commonwealth Scholarship
- Previous positions
- Associate Dean of Law (Students) (1996-1998)
- Contract Law, Family Law, Remedies, Negotiation and Mediation.
- Current external positions
- Senior Sessional Member, State Administrative Tribunal of Western Australia.
- New and noteworthy
- 2015 publications:
‘Apology Legislation and its Implications for International Dispute Resolution Practitioners’, (2015) 9 Dispute Resolution International 115.
‘Family Law, Involuntarily Separated Couples and Their Property’, (2015) 33 Law in Context 87.
Carroll and Crouch ‘Comment: Maldera & Orbel: Choosing between a Parent and a Grandparent - what can tip the scales?’ (2015) 29 Australian Journal of Family Law 157.
Carroll and Berryman, ‘Offers to make amends for defamatory publications – comparison and critique’ paper presented at UQ Private Law in the 21st Conference, Brisbane 14-14 Dec 2015.
‘The Role of Apologies in the Law’, WA Supreme Court Judges Conference, Fremantle, October 24, 2015.
‘Elder Mediation: An Emerging Area of Practice’, Resolution Institute 2015 kon gres, Perth 18 September 2015,
‘Apologies, Victims and the Law’, presentation to the 15th Asian Postgraduate Course in Victimology and Victim Assistance, UWA, 3 July 2015.
‘I’m Sorry I Defamed You: Corrections and Apologies in Offers to Make Amends’ Paper presented at the Remedies Discussion Forum held at Universite Paris Dauphine, Paris, France 16-27 June 2015.
‘Apologies and Mediation: International Developments in the Law’, presentation at the Singapore Management University, 3 June 2015.
‘Elder Mediation and Guardianship Proceedings’, National Elder Mediation Training Workshop, University of South Australia, Adelaide, March 2015.
‘Intersections between Family Law and the Guardianship and Administration Act 1990 (WA) Jurisdiction’, Family Court of Western Australia seminar, Perth, 4 February, 2015.
- Current projects
- The Role of Apologies in the Law, preparation of manuscript of a co-authored monograph for Hart Publishing.
Co-organiser of Workshop on The Place of Apology in the Law, International Institute for the Sociology of Law, Onati, Spain 5-6 May 2016
Family Law - Legal Issues for the Elderly
- Research profile
Research profile and publications