Dr Sally Male
Senior Research Fellow
Electrical, Electronic and Computer Engineering, School of
- Contact details
- School of Electrical, Electronic and Computer Engineering
The University of Western Australia (M018)
35 Stirling Highway
CRAWLEY WA 6009
- +61 8 6488 1242
- +61 8 6488 1065
- Room 4.22, Electrical Engineering Building, Perth campus
- BE PhD W.Aust.
- Sally's overarching ambition, that motivates her research and activities, is to give engineering students the best possible opportunity to develop their capabilities and strengthen their personal qualities for successful lives contributing professional leadership and general benefit to a well-functioning society. Sally undertakes research in engineering education, higher education, and women in engineering. She has completed projects to improve engineering curricula and gender inclusivity in engineering and computing.
Sally uses quantitative and qualitative methods. She has worked with engineers at all levels, academics and students.
- Key research
- Virtual Work Integrated Learning for Engineering Students. An Australian Government Office for Learning and Teaching Innovation and Development Project. http://www.ecm.uwa.edu.au/students/learning/research/virtual-wil
- Student Experiences of Threshold Capability Development with Intensive Mode Teaching. An Australian Government Office for Learning and Teaching Strategic Priority Project
- Enhancing industry engagement in engineering education. Sally undertook the research and was the project manager on the project 'Enhancing industry engagement in engineering degrees', for the Australian Council of Engineering Deans. Twelve universities participated in the project along with peak industry bodies. The project had two themes. In Theme 1 guidelines with recommendations for effective industry engagement in engineering degrees were developed and tested. In Theme 2, academics developed industry-inspired projects to be completed by students in engineering units. http://arneia.edu.au/project/201
- Theme 1 involved surveys and interviews with industry members, academics, and students; forums in which the draft guidelines were reviewed, and testing and evaluation of the guidelines. The guidelines are available at http://arneia.edu.au/resource/59
- Other projects:
- Gender inclusivity in engineering education.
- Engineering thresholds: an approach to curriculum renewal
- Competencies of engineering graduates http://www.ecm.uwa.edu.au/research/education/competencies-of-engineering-graduates/
- Publications listed at
Sally has over 45 refereed publications. She has papers in the European Journal of Engineering Education, the Australasian Journal of Engineering Education, Education Research and Perspectives, Education & Training, and in Higher Education. She has 4 book chapters in the field of engineering education including one on the threshold concept that engineering is gendered. Publications on competencies of engineering graduates are listed at
Publications on engineering threshold concepts are listed at
Sally's book chapter on the threshold concept that engineering is gendered was published in 2014.
The book is available online to subscribers at http://www.elgaronline.com/abstract/9781781954065.xml
Details about the book:
- Roles, responsibilities and expertise
- Sally currently leads the projects 'Virtual Work Integrated Learning for Engineering Students' and 'Student Experiences of Threshold Capability Development with Intensive Mode Teaching' http://olt.gov.au/grants-and-projects
Sally has been selected as a member of the UWA ATHENA SWAN Self Assessment Team.
- Funding received
- Australian Government Office for Learning and Teaching 2015 'Virtual Work Integrated Learning for Engineering Students'
Australian Government Office for Learning & Teaching 2014 Strategic Priority Grant 'Student Experiences of Threshold Capability Development with Intensive Mode Teaching'
Australian Government Office for Learning & Teaching 2013 Seed Grant 'Gender inclusivity of engineering students' experiences of workplace learning'
UWA Education Research Seed Funding Grant 2013 'Investigation of Gender Inclusivity of Student Exposure to Engineering Practice at UWA'
UWA Research Collaboration Award - International Engineering Thresholds 2011 'International Engineering Thresholds'
UWA Faculty of Engineering, Computing, and Mathematics Research Development Award 2012 'Students' Experiences of Threshold Concepts'
Australian Council of Engineering Deans support for Engineering Thresholds: An Approach to Curriculum Renewal 2010
- Industrial relevance
- In addition to her research on enhancing industry engagement in engineering degrees, and gender inclusivity of engineering workplaces, for her PhD, Sally studied industry perceptions of competencies required by engineers graduating in Australia.
- Fellow, Institution of Engineers Australia
Member, Australasian Association for Engineering Education
Member, Higher Education Research & Development Society of Australasia (HERDSA)
Member, Graduate Women WA
Fellow, UWA Faculty Academy for Scholarship in Education
- Honours and awards
- 2010 Australasian Association for Engineering Education Conference Best Paper Award , Research Category, for paper titled "Understanding generic engineering competencies"
- Sally's research informs continuous improvement of engineering education nationally. She has given workshops on curriculum development to educators in universities around Australia.
Sally has taught electrical engineering at UWA and Curtin. Sally is the Unit Coordinator for the Electrical & Electronic Engineering Design Project Units 5551 and 5552 at UWA. She has also taught rights and responsibilities to science and engineering students at Curtin University. She has supervised engineering students at final year, masters, and PhD levels.
Sally has given invited presentations on women in engineering for APESMA, Curtin University, Engineers Australia, Graduate Women (WA), IEEE,National Association of Women in Operations (NAWO), and UWA.
- Current external positions
- Governance Board Member, Engineering Institute of Technology
Advisory Council Member, Women in Oil and Gas - Perth (WIOG) http://www.womeninoilandgas.com.au/
Editorial Board Member, Australasian Journal of Engineering Education
Executive Committee Member, Women in Science Australia (https://womeninscienceaust.org/)
- New and noteworthy
- Latest journal paper:
Smith, J., Compston, P., Male, S., Baillie, C., & Turns, J. (2016). Intensive Mode Teaching of a Humanitarian Engineering Course to Enhance Service-Learning. International Journal for Service Learning in Engineering, Humanitarian Engineering and Social Entrepreneurship, 11(2), 38-54.
Latest conference paper:
Male, S. A., King, R., & Hargreaves, D. (2016). Drivers and Barriers to Industry Engaging in Engineering Education. Paper presented at the 12th International CDIO Conference, Turku University of Applied Sciences, Turku, Finland. http://julkaisut.turkuamk.fi/isbn9789522166104.pdf
Latest book chapter:
Bennett, D., & Male, S. A. (2017). A Student-Staff Community of Practice within an Inter-University Final-Year Project. In J. McDonald & A. Cater-Steel (Eds.), Communities of Practice – Facilitating Social Learning in Higher Education: Springer.
- Research profile
Research profile and publications