Assoc/Prof Steven Maras
Media and Communication
- Contact details
- Media and Communication
The University of Western Australia (M257)
35 Stirling Highway
CRAWLEY WA 6009
- +61 8 6488 7248
- +61 8 6488 1167
- Room 1.01, Social Sciences Building, Perth campus
- Steven joined the Media and Communication program at UWA in 2015.
Since he began teaching in 1989 he has held senior positions at the University of Western Sydney (1995-2005) and the University of Sydney (2005-2015). He has been a visiting scholar at the Australian, Film, Television, and Radio School in 1998, the School of Cinema-Arts, University of Southern California in 2002, and at the School of Journalism, Fudan University, Shanghai in October-November 2012.
A graduate of Curtin University in Western Australia (1988), Steven studied Honours at Murdoch University, and received his PhD in Communication Studies from Murdoch University (1994).
Steven has strong interests in both teaching and research, and is a firm believer in the possibility of a productive dialogue between scholarly and intellectual work and media practice and industries.
In his research he brings a communications philosophical approach to understanding the complexity of media practice. Steven is open to inquiries regarding postgraduate supervision in any of his areas of key research.
- Key research
- media and communication ethics and critical practice
- screenwriting research
- the relationship of theory and practice
- theories of communication
- the history of the field of media and communication studies.
- Steven the author of two critically acclaimed books.
In 2009 he published Screenwriting: History, Theory, and Practice (Wallflower/ Columbia University Press), which helped break new ground in the academic study of screenwriting.
In 2013 he published Objectivity in Journalism (Polity Press), a landmark study of this key concept.
He has published articles and essays in numerous peer-reviewed journals in Australia and internationally.
He contributes to The Conversation http://theconversation.com/profiles/steven-maras-190547/articles
For a list of recent publications only see the 'Research Profile' link below.
- Roles, responsibilities and expertise
- Graduate Research Coordinator, School of Social Sciences
Honours Coordinator, Media and Communication
- Australian and New Zealand Communication Association
Screenwriting Research Network
International Communication Association
- Previous positions
- Jan 2005-March 2015: University of Sydney
Jan 1995-Jan 2005: University of Western Sydney
- Current external positions
- Editorial Advisory Board: Continuum: Journal of Media and Cultural Studies
Editorial Advisory Board: Global Media Journal (Australian Edition)
Editorial Advisory Board: Journal of Screenwriting
Editorial Advisory Board: Communication Research and Practice
Co-editor: Palgrave Studies in Screenwriting book series
- Current projects
- Steven is currently editing a collection called Ethics in Screenwriting: New Perspectives, due for publication with Palgrave MacMillan in 2016.
- Research profile
Research profile and publications