Professor Ted Snell
Chief Cultural Officer
- Contact details
- Cultural Precinct
The University of Western Australia (M464B)
35 Stirling Highway
CRAWLEY WA 6009
- +61 8 6488 3627
- GradDipEd Birm., PhD Curtin
- Ted Snell was born in 1949, at Geraldton, Western Australia. After completing an Associateship in Art Teaching he travelled to England to undertake postgraduate study in Birmingham. He returned to Australia and began teaching part-time at WAIT (now Curtin University of Technology), where he was Professor of Contemporary Art and Dean of Art, John Curtin Gallery. In 2009 he was appointed as Director of the Cultural Precinct at the University of Western Australia.
Over the past two decades he has contributed to the national arts agenda through his role as Chair of the Australian Council of University Art and Design Schools, Chair of Artbank, Chair of the Asialink Visual Arts Advisory Committee and as a Board member of the National Association for the Visual Arts. He is currently Chair of the Visual Arts Board of the Australia Council.
He has been a commentator on the arts for ABC radio and television and is currently art reviewer for The Australian and a regular contributor to local and national journals. He has published several books and has curated numerous exhibitions, many of which document the visual culture of Western Australia. Ted Snell is also a visual artist and since 1968 he has shown his work in solo exhibitions in Perth, Melbourne and Brisbane, and in numerous group exhibition. His work is represented in many public and private collections, including the National Gallery of Australia, the Art Gallery of Western Australia and Artbank.
- Key research
- Art Contemporary
- Art Contemporary Australian
- Art Museums and Museology
- Art Criticism
- Art Education
- 2007 Pippin Drysdale: Lines of Site, Fremantle Arts Centre Press, Fremantle, ISBN 9781920731199
1995Howard Taylor - Forest Figure, Fremantle Arts Centre Press, Fremantle, ISBN 1 86368 116 7.
1993 Imagini dai Salmi: Salvatore Zofrea, G+B Arts International Ltd, Basel & Sydney, ISBN 976 8097 40 X.
1992 Salvatore Zofrea: Images From The Psalms, Craftsman House Press, Sydney, ISBN 976 8097 23 X.
1991 Cinderella on the Beach: A Source Book of Western Australia's Visual Culture, University of Western Australia Press, ISBN 1 875560 041.
1989Degrees of Excellence, Curtin University of Technology, ISBN 0 7316 7539 8.
1988The Artist's Rottnest, Fremantle Arts Centre Press, ISBN 0 949206 342.
- Roles, responsibilities and expertise
- 2006- Chair, Visual Arts Board, Australia Council
2000-06 Chair of Artbank
2003-2006 Chair Art Craft Design Special
2004 Chair ArtsWA State Living Treasures Panel
2002-04 Chair of the Premier’s Fashion Industry Taskforce
Interest Group of Museums Australia
1999-2002 Chair of the Australian Council of University Art & Design Schools
1999-2001 Chair of the Asialink Visual Arts Crafts Committee.
- Honours and awards
- Order of Australia, Member in the General Division (AM)Western Australian Citizen of the Year (Arts and Entertainment category)
PhD, Curtin University
- Previous positions
- 1999 - 2009Dean of Art, John Curtin Centre, Curtin University of Technology.
1995 - 2002Head of School, School of Art, Curtin University of Technology.
- Current external positions
- Chair, Visual Arts Board, Australia Council, since 2007.
Perth based Art Reviewer for The Australian since 1984.
- Research profile
Research profile and publications