Dr Henning Mohr
Offshore Foundation Systems, Centre for
- Contact details
- Centre for Offshore Foundation Systems
The University of Western Australia (M051)
35 Stirling Highway
CRAWLEY WA 6009
- +61 8 6488 7225
- Henning Mohr graduated with a 1st class Master of Science (MSc) and Diplom Ingenieur degree in Mechanical and Process Engineering from the Technical University Darmstadt in 2010. Following this, he joined the Centre for Offshore Foundation Systems and worked as a Research Associate working on the performance of offshore foundations using the geotechnical centrifuges. After completion of this research project, he pursued a PhD at the University of Western Australia (UWA) investigating the erosion and scour behaviour of marine sediments. Upon award of a doctorate in 2016, Henning joined the Centre for Offshore Foundation Systems at UWA a research associate.
- Key research
- Offshore in-situ testing methods (RIGSS JIP) – Henning worked on the RIGSS (Remote Intelligent Geotechnical Seabed Surveys) JIP project funded by Benthic, Fugro, Total, Shell and Woodside. The Joint Industry Project (JIP is developing novel tools for in-situ testing such as in-situ scour erosion test devices, shallow penetrometers and free-falling penetrometers (see www.rigss jip.com). Henning focussed in this joint industry project on the development of a novel in-situ erosion device for depths up to 2000 m. This tool is designed to obtain accurate measurements of erosion properties – such as erosion threshold and rate – which subsequently will lead to a more reliable scour assessment of subsea structures.
- Scour and sedimentation of subsea pipelines – Henning collaborated with Scott Draper, Liang Cheng, David White and Simon Leckie on sedimentation and scour around subsea pipelines. The work involved extensive flume testing on reduced-scale models and prototypes of pipelines using a range of testing facilities (Mini, Small and Large O-tube, see http://www.cofs.uwa.edu.au/capabilities/facilities/o-tube-program). The experimental data served as a basis (i) to develop novel theoretical models for the prediction of scour timescales and (ii) to analyse and explain the scour and sedimentation behaviour of a North-West Shelf pipeline using high-quality field data.
Mohr, H., Draper, S., White, D.J. & Cheng, L. (2016). Predicting the rate of scour beneath submarine pipelines in marine sediments. Coastal Engineering, 110:111-126.
Leckie, S.H.F., Mohr, H., Draper, S., McLean, D., White, D.J., & Cheng, L. (2016). Sedimentation and marine fauna induced changes to pipeline embedment and spanning; from the continental slope to the shelf. Coastal Engineering.
White, D.J., Draper, S., Cheng, L., Mohr, H. & Leckie, S.H.F. (2015). Ocean-structure-seabed interaction: O-tube modelling of pipeline stability. Australian Geomechanics, 49, 4:157-164.
Mohr, H., Draper, S., White, D.J., Cheng, L. & An, H. (2016). The hydrodynamics of a recirculating (O-tube) flume. International Conference on Scour and Erosion.
Mohr, H., Draper, S. & White, D.J. (2013). Free field sediment mobility on Australias North West Shelf. 32nd International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering.
Gaudin, C., Mohr, H., Cassidy, M.J., Bienen, B. & Purwana, O.A. (2011). Centrifuge experiments of a hybrid foundation under combined loading. 21st International Offshore and Polar Engineering Conference.
Graesel, J., Demolis, J., Mohr, H., Schiffer, H.-P. (2010). Multi-objective design optimisation of a diffuser-ejector exhaust duct for helicopter engines. Turbo Expo 2010: Power for Land, Sea, and Air.
- Roles, responsibilities and expertise
- Project Researcher – RIGSS JIP
Supervisor - Final year students
- Honours and awards
- 2011 - Scholarship for International Research Fees (SIRF)
2011 - University Postgraduate Award (UPAIS)
2011 - Lloyd's Register Education Trust (LRET)
- Previous positions
- 2010 Research Associate, Centre for Offshore Foundation Systems, UWA
2011 Postgraduate Student, Centre for Offshore Foundation Systems, UWA
2011 Consultant for industry research projects (incl. Fugro AG, Subcon, Keppel)
2015-2016 Research Associate, Centre for Offshore Foundation Systems, UWA
- Useful links
- RIGSS JIP - http://www.rigssjip.com
Research Gate - https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Henning_Mohr
- Research profile
Research profile and publications