In October the Perth USAsia Centre and UWA hosted ‘In The Zone: The Blue Zone’ at Beaumonde on the Point in Perth. The event was the latest in a series of strategic forums that began in 2009, with this year’s theme focused on the resources, environment and security of the Indo-Pacific’s maritime realm.
The conference brought together over 350 delegates and more than 35 speakers including experts from Japan, South Korea, Philippines, China, India, Indonesia, the USA and Australia, among them Australia's Minister for Foreign Affairs the Hon. Julie Bishop, Shadow Minister for Foreign Affairs Penny Wong, WA Premier the Hon. Mark McGowan and former President of the United Nations General Assembly and former South Korean Prime Minister Dr Han Sueng-soo.
Discussions covered topics including defence, fishing, pollution, modern slavery, marine parks, energy, innovation and aquaculture.
- (Left to right): Professor Gordon Flake (CEO of Perth USAsia Centre), Professor Dawn Freshwater (Vice-Chancellor of The University of Western Australia), The Hon Mark McGowan MLA (Premier of Western Australia) and The Hon Julie Bishop MP (Australia’s Foreign Minister)
- (Left to right): Madeleine King MP (Federal Member of Parliament for Brand) and David Harrison (Director, Government and Corporate Communications at The University of Western Australia)
- Professor Gordon Flake, CEO of Perth USAsia Centre, delivers the welcoming remarks
- Dr Richard Walley OAM, one of Australia’s leading Aboriginal artists and writers, delivers a Welcome to Country address
- Amy Hallam, Senior Business Development Manager, Perth Convention Bureau, gets into the spirit of the event
- The Hon Julie Bishop MP, Australia’s Foreign Minister, fronts the media
A Panel Discussion on ‘Understanding the Maritime Realm’ (left to right): AuskarSurbakti (ABC News 24 Correspondent), Professor Erika Techera (UWA Oceans Institute) and Professor John Blaxland (Director of ANU Southeast Asian Institute and Head of Strategic and Defence Studies Centre)
- Richard Sandover, Chairman of Partners at Jackson McDonald
- Senator Penny Wong, Australia’s Shadow Foreign Minister, delivers a keynote address
A Panel Discussion on ‘Defence and Security in the Maritime Realm’ (left to right): Vice Admiral Anup Singh (Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief of the Eastern Naval), Dr Dino Patti Djalal (Founder of Foreign Policy Community of Indonesia) and Senator Linda Reynolds
- A Panel Discussion on ‘Energy Business and Innovation on the Seas’ (left to right): Professor ZhongFeiteng (Professor at National Institute of International Strategy, Chinese Academy of Social Sciences), Dr Michael Ottaviano (CEO and Managing Director of Carnegie Clean Energy), Hero Godha (Board Director of LNG MFI), Naveen Unni (Partner at McKinsey & Company) and Deidre Willmott (CEO of Chamber of Commerce and Industry WA)
- Professor Richard Heydarian, Philippines geopolitics expert, on geopolitics in the South China Sea