The UWA Historical Society has identified a wide variety of projects in which it wishes to become engaged. If you are interested in assisting with any of the following projects, please email Fran Pesich or telephone (+61) 0417 178 275.
UWA WW2 Nominal Roll
The University Historical Society in conjunction with University representatives, the WA University Regiment and interested groups, held a commemorative event on Wednesday 11 November 2020 from 5pm-6pm in Whitfeld Court.
This event saw the launch of an online UWA WW2 Nominal Roll. This list of UWA staff, students and graduates who served in the second World War is now also available through a limited edition of free copies titled: "The University of Western Australia and the Second World War: Nominal Roll Project". This publication is also available as an e-Book.
While every effort has been made to verify the information available, there may be errors and omissions. Please let us know if this is the case.Updates to the online editions are planned during 2021.
Buildings In Landscape – A Virtual Tour
Join us on this intriguing introduction to Whitfeld Court, the Great Gateway to Winthrop Hall, Sunken Garden and Tropical Grove. On a warm sunny day in spring, stroll at your own pace in this virtual world and enjoy its history in 3D.
Link to the Tour: Buildings in Landscape
Centenary of Armistice 2018
The University Historical Society in conjunction with the University and interested groups has installed a pavement memorial in Whitfeld Court in commemoration of the Centenary of Armistice. Together with a commemorative event on Sunday 11 November 2018, these form part of the UWA Historical Society's focus to honour UWA staff, students and graduates, who served their country in World War 1, some never to return. Armistice Day in 1918 marked the cessation of hostilities in World War 1.
This initiative of the UWA Historical Society, created an enduring memorial on the UWA Campus and is undertaken along with the update and refurbishment of the University's WWI Honour Board which has now been relocated to the foyer of Winthrop Hall (first floor level). Until the completion of this work, there was no War Memorial on the UWA Campus.
Earlier Completed Projects
- 75 new Oral Histories and Oral History Portal Launch (2014).
- Personalities & Places Publication and Book Launch (2014) : Joan Pope OAM, Wendy Birman, Ron Bodycoat AM.
- People at UWA in 1913 (2013) : Joan Pope OAM.
- Newsletter and web site established for society (2009) : Shobha Cameron, James Devenish.
- Anniversary production to celebrate 40th anniversary of the Octagon theatre (October 2009) : Joan Pope, Kevin Hamersley, Ted Snell, Martin Forsey et al.
- Creation of TheatrePush (Friends of UWA Theatre) 2009 : Joan Pope, Kevin Hamersley, Ted Snell, Martin Forsey et al.
- History of Chemistry as a discipline on campus : Frank Lincoln, Professor Andy Cole and Shobha Cameron (2008) in conjunction with Facilities Management and the disciplines of Microbiology, Physiology and Biochemistry.
Projects Under Consideration
The following list grows from year to year. Not all possibilities can be pursued, but if any of the following take your interest, or if there's an aspect of the University's history that you would like to pursue, please contact us. We can help you to link with other UWA Historical Society members who would also be keen to develop an idea into a live project. We would love to hear from you.
- Replacement of existing photographic display in Old Senate Room (Irwin Street building) with framed photographs of founding professors, senators and the university Executive (in association with Convocation : Ian Passmore).
- Installation of photographs of Honorary Doctorates of the university (who are also graduates) on the east wall of the Undercroft together with Centenary storyboard and Honour boards of Chancellors, Vice-Chancellors, Wardens of Convocation and Guild Presidents for the past 100 years (in association with Convocation : Ian Passmore).
- History of UWA theatre (UWATCH committee : co-authors Joan Pope and Bill Dunstone).
- Scanning of 60,000 photographic images into the UWA Trim record system : Michael Manley.
- Investigation of archival software to enable collection and cataloguing of artefacts and memorabilia : Maria Carvalho, UWA Archives.
- Anniversary production to celebrate 50th anniversary of the Old Dolphin theatre (2010) : TheatrePush (Friends of the Theatre) Joan Pope et al.
- Interpretation within the Guild Village of the original location of the Old Dolphin theatre : Ron Bodycoat, Joan Pope.
- Research into the history of the four groups of transportable buildings on the university campus viz. a) temporary buildings erected for the use of the Engineering faculty, b) buildings transferred from Irwin Street in the city in 1933, c) University Hall (previously referred to as Currie Hall) hostel buildings which served as officer accommodation during World War II and d) World War II temporary buildings in the vicinity of the Institute of Agriculture.
- Heritage interpretation of the Crawley Park (Shenton House) dairy/creamery (circa 1846) which was demolished to make way for the Guild Village : Ron Bodycoat, Joan Pope.
- Creation of website of images and biographies of distinguished UWA personalities (selected) : Shobha Cameron, Wendy Birman.
- Creation of database of images and biographies of distinguished UWA personalities (comprehensive).
- Oral histories of significant UWA personalities : Joan Robins.
- Cataloguing of memorabilia by volunteers for the School of Physics, the Engineering faculty, the Guild of Undergraduates, Sports Association and University Theatres : volunteers required.
- Relocation of the original UWA Claremont cricket changeroom (which also functioned as an historic classroom) from the east to the west side of the oval and conversion to a Visitors' Centre with landscaped environs.
- Interpretive ipod tours of the Crawley campus in several languages using blue tooth technology in association with the UWA cultural precinct.
- Creation of umbrella website linking all sites containing information on UWA history.
- Creation of database for images and biographies of Claremont Teachers' College alumni.