The Old Engineering Building situated next to Shenton House, was the second permanent University building constructed on the Crawley site.
It was designed by the Public Works Department and completed in 1927 at a cost of £8,825.
During the early years, "students… had to walk two miles through mud from Point Lewis, or half a mile through sand from Broadway to attend lectures" in what is now known as the Old Engineering Building.(1)
Until 1961, it continued to provide the main accommodation for Engineering and for a period during World War II, it also housed the US Navy. In 1961, Engineering moved into their new building and the Department of Education used the Old Engineering Building accommodation until the 1970s when it was converted into a social club for the Guild of Undergraduates.
Today the Old Engineering Building continues to house the Guild’s Social Club. It is very accessible and is one of a group of buildings that form the Guild Village. Quite a marked difference from its early years of occupancy when it was considered to be very remote from the rest of the University and from Perth.
(1) Fraenkel, PH in Ferguson, R.J. (1993) Crawley Campus. The planning and architecture of the University of Western Australia. Perth: University of Western Australia Press. p. 42
Ferguson, R.J. (1993) Crawley Campus. The planning and architecture of the University of Western Australia. Perth: University of Western Australia Press.