(1924 – 2020)
Joseph John Edmund Glover was born at Mount Barker and home schooled before winning a scholarship to Perth Modern School in 1937. He commenced Geology at UWA in 1941 but deferred studies for RAAF service.
He joined the RAAF in 1943, training in Canada as a wireless-operator air-gunner to serve in bombers. However, he was discharged in 1945 as a Flight Sergeant, shortly after Hiroshima, without having seen active service.
After the war he achieved his prizewinning Honours degree in Geology in 1949 and joined the Bureau of Mineral Resources in Canberra. A Fulbright Scholarship in 1950 enabled him to gain his PhD at the University of California, Berkeley. He rejoined the Bureau in 1953, and worked for Australian Oilfields N.L. in Queensland.
In 1955 he returned to UWA as Lecturer in Geology, promoted to Senior Lecturer in 1958. Glover resided at St George’s College where he was Resident Tutor during the 1970s. He was Head of the Geology and Geophysics Department from 1985 to 1988. Glover was the prime mover in establishing the Edward de Courcy Clarke Earth Science Museum. He retired in 1990 but continued as Senior Honorary Research Fellow in the School of Earth and Environment until 2014.